Automating outdoor soffit lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a house that has downlights built into the soffit, they can be turned on via a switch inside the house. Id rather these be automated...is there a way I can achieve this?

It's fine with either a timer or a light sensor - whatever will be easier. I can access any cable attached to a downlight but struggling to locate where they start from.

I've looked at a device called sonoff but not sure if it would work

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Steinel above is a fine bit of kit. It has 3 modes

On at dusk and off later
On at dusk and on before dawn then off at dawn
On from dusk to dawn

The device does all the time adjustments

I’ve got one of these and have fitted loads over the years for customers

Attachments

• IMG-20230730-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20230730-WA0017.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
I use TP-Link (Tapo) light switches, they have dusk and dawn, plus times, they are battery powered so do not need a neutral and even if outside lights on a PIR as well so no load, still work. And being a smart device can work with phone or voice commands, down side it needs a hub, and only single or double switches, and only on/off to make them two way there is a button which can be used.

It depends on the number of down lights, if only one or two cheaper to use smart bulbs, however it seems they don't say in the adverts which have dusk and dawn settings, mainly as some functions are in the bulb, and some in the app, and some in the hub, so it seems like a suck it and see.

I liked the Wiz bulb as it had fade in and fade out, so you got a warning before it switched off, but no dusk and dawn. The dawn is a bit of a problem, set to switch on at 6:30 am ready for milkman, and off at dawn, was great until dawn was before 6:30 am, but since I could also select days of the week, only switched on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat as he only delivers 4 days a week.

I can get google Nest Mini's to do some of the switching, however I have found both Google and Alexa can behave like mischievous little boys at times. So set lights to switch off at 9 am so if it has turned one on which I was unaware of, it is turned off again at 9 am.

Just seen pictures, likely you will need spacer or swap back box for a deeper one. But Tapo would work fine as no neutral required.

In its most basic form you can introduce a pir sensor between the led and the switch, without too much additional work. It will be either sensor on or permanently off. You may find the ability to put it on permanently an advantage, but this will require a feed to live and switched live, so 3 core rather than 2 core. In that configuration it will not be permanently off, so you might want an override switch so you can also turn the whole thing off.

In its most basic form you can introduce a pir sensor between the led and the switch, without too much additional work. It will be either sensor on or permanently off. You may find the ability to put it on permanently an advantage, but this will require a feed to live and switched live, so 3 core rather than 2 core. In that configuration it will not be permanently off, so you might want an override switch so you can also turn the whole thing off.
Just don't know which route the cables go from the switch so hard to find the part in-between switch and first light

So the device I have suggested would do as I outlined and would need to be positioned outside "looking" away from the building so it can sense the changes in light

Just don't know which route the cables go from the switch so hard to find the part in-between switch and first light
If you are able to get into the loft it has probably been dropped through there Then its a question of identifying a location for the pir, and cutting the existing cable, switch end with live feed into permanent live, the other end live feed into switched live. Don't know whether that will create disruption but it should work ok if everything drops down from loft to soffit

Sorry, is turning itself on and off not classed as automation?
Yes it is, what matters is how much automation? I had a problem with PIR control, it would stop seeing me before I left the illuminated area, so would be plunged into darkness. So much depends on where you live and what you want, I have a dark drive the street light is masked by trees, so at a time when visitors are expected I want it lit at front of house, rear of house only when I arrive home, so switching on with phone app is ample.

At Halloween I love the kids knocking the door with their trick or treat, so set the front light to green to show I will be receptive to their visit. Christmas set to colour changing.

I do think dark sky is good, so by 11 pm want outside lights off. But an immersion heater timer will simply turn lights on off at set times, at low cost, this
1727432019293.png
at £9 from screwfix is called a manual immersion heater timer, so clearly not considered as automation. My bedroom lights turn on at 8 am on Wednesday and off at 8:30 am to wake me up to go an volunteer at local railway, but same switch will turn on lights with voice commands, using PC or Phone, down to what you want.

However the timer shown will not really work, as you have no neutral, this switch will 1727432415415.png it needs a hub 1727432470221.png so total cost £17.70 x 2 = £35.40 from CPC who ever they are, so far more expensive, I assume you have a router running for other things?

But the cost to run a neutral is likely more than the extra you need to pay for the smart switch and hub, so it does seem a reasonable method to do what you want. Add a button, £14.10 and Hub also works as door bell. And logs each time rung on your phone. It is not classed as water proof, but mine has been there for over a year and no problems. The same button can also turn on your lights, so both rings the chime and turns lights on.

As to where one stops with automation is up to you. It must seem odd to anyone watching me ringing my own door bell so I can see lock to put my key into!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back