Average life of wooden deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
11 years ago I installed a wooden deck about 5m x 5m in the garden. I did it with basic deck boards from Wickes or wherever and have cleaned and treated it religiously once a year

However - this spring when I came to check it, multiple boards had rotted through and collapsed in places under my weight. Is 11 years an average lifetime for a deck that has been reasonably well looked after?

I can't help thinking that it the extended spells of wet weather haven't helped, plus, there are bits of it that are still totally sound, so maybe it was just some of the boards that weren't quite as strong

Anyway - have bitten the bullet and decided to redo the whole lot (the joists/frame are still totally sound). Any advice for future longevity appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Depends how it was built. Were any of the parts that have rotted in contact with the ground or built in such a way that they held water?

We've just replaced our old deck that was rotten in places. It was 17 years old, had been built with wooden posts set in concrete in the old fashioned way and had weed membrane between the decking frame and the deck boards which held water.

The new deck has been built on a frame that is held off the ground by threaded rod set into concrete bases. No wooden parts of the frame are in contact with the ground and we've used Millboard (at great expense) for the deck itself so hopefully this one will have a decent lifespan.

Sponsored Links
Any bare timber close to soil will be exposed to high humidity (unless very well ventilated) and at risk of rotting. Have you considered painting the under-side of the decking with bitumen? I used this ages ago on a wooden shed base, which was still in excellent condition when the shed was dismantled many years later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back