Back door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new member here.
Some time ago my parents had double glazing installed replacing all windows and doors.
The back door has a threshold about 4" to 5" higher than the kitchen floor.
I'm sure they done this to save time not having to cut out any brickwork.
Having complained by telephone and in writing to the company, we had no replies, this was some time ago (5 years approx) My mother who is in her 80's fell over the high freshold onto a concrete slab braking 2 bones in her foot and a very deep cut in the other leg.
Now my question:
Is there a building reg. regarding the height of the threshold i.e. should it be the same hight as the kitchen floor, and who should we contact?

Sponsored Links
A standard pvcu door threshold does finish unfeasibly high. This can be a problem for the elderly or less able bodied.

There are low threshold sills available but i am not a fan of the way these seal.

Also there is the opportunity to remove a course of bricks below the door and lower the entire thing. You need not drop the door by a full course but only enough to allow the door to open above any floor finishes. Any gaps above the door can be dealt with a knock-on, any gaps below can be dealt with either using split bricks or snap soldier bricks.

The upshot is, that if you had been vocal about your concerns or indeed if the window sellers of the pvcu had made you aware, a low threshold could have been provided.

There are regulations, which dictate level thresholds, etc... but that's primarily aimed towards new buildings and very rarely includes replacement doors.

Sponsored Links
Sorry...I meant "accessible" thresholds in regards to Part M. Level/accessible... same thing :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back