Bad paint or bad painter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've just painted our bathroom with what should be good quality Crown bathroom paint. The day after painting we both had showers and the paint has become very streaked and comes off if you rub it. The question is - have I managed to buy a bad batch of paint, or did we just not leave it to dry long enough (the tin says ready to recoat in 4 hours so I'd have thought it had been dry by the next day)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Bad preparation is the most likely. You get a film of soap on bathroom walls so it really needed a good sand and scrub.

You are bound to get someone saying that bathroom paint is rubbish - just ignore them they don't know their stuff.

First in line to say Kitchen & Bathroom paint is rubbish >>it just dont last as long as good bog standard matt/ soft sheen emulsion..
However. lol . I would say theres a problem with your paint.. is there any left in tin? Try some (2 coats) on a piece of clean board or somewhere, see how ithat dries. With this global cooling theres been a lot of paint tins been stuck on lorries in sub zero temperatures. What you describe about being able to 'rub off' makes me suspect the paint has been stored in freezing conditions. Unless you thinned too much to get the awfull stuf to flow out without sagging. ;)

Water streaks happen with some water based paints,, bit like woodstain exterior will appear mottled if it rains overnight on fresh work. but will become harder as it cures.

good luck...

Thanks for advice - I'll give the two coats on a board thing a go. FYI I did not thin the paint at all, it went on the wall as it came out of the tin.

Sponsored Links
hey ye...theres no chance that the last time the bathroom was painted it was painted with an oil based eggshell maybe??

Err, to be honest I have no idea what it was previously painted with as it was before we moved in. Are you saying that if the first paint was oil based and our paint is water based that this could be the cause of the problem?

I've seen this numerous times. Bathrooms have oils out of skin and hair, and soap floating around that settles on the walls. Give them a clean and a sand and you'll have no bother. I've been doing this work for over 30 years. I've seen it before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back