Balcony seat options - plastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into options for replacing the wooden seat to my balcony with a plastic or composite alternative. The wooden seat sits above the metal roofing material underneath that provides the waterproofing and I envisage the main seat material would sit on plastic batons placed underneath to allow for the seat to be levelled correctly and provide air gap / drainage underneath seat itself (as existing). The current seat has metal U shaped brackets that fix to the walls either side.

I've been looking at options for plastic / composite materials that can be cut to size for the job, ideally 35×580×1800mm with rounded edge . I could cut this into three pieces and screw together using plastic batons underneath. The material is similar to that on plastic park benches you might see but I'm struggling to find anything of the width (580mm) required, and if possible want to avoid having to screw together multiple planks to make the seat.

I'd welcome any advice on materials or other thoughts.

With thanks, Tom - London UK

Attachments

• 20241002_101208.jpg
    20241002_101208.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20241002_101155.jpg
    20241002_101155.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20241002_101151.jpg
    20241002_101151.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20241002_101203.jpg
    20241002_101203.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20241002_102109.jpg
    20241002_102109.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
If you look at park benches they're made up of deck boards not one solid sheet, at least I've never seen a solid one. I think you'll struggle to find anything to do that in one plank, any composite decking is deck board size. I suppose you could look at composite work tops (like you'd fit in a kitchen) but they cost the earth. Or you could look at solid PVC sheets but they make composite worktops look cheap for anything with any decent thickness. I'd just go with two deck boards together.

@freddiemercurystwin, @foxhole - thanks both - and @foxhole deck seat looks good.

The balcony seat overhangs the bay parapet wall slightly, and the balcony to my flat is on the third floor and so I want the seat to feel solid and secure. My concern with deck board is whether I'll be able to get that same solid feel as the wood has at the moment given I'm connecting different pieces together.

Another option could be to 1) replace with wood like for like, and keep on top of maintenance, 2) have a go at refurbing the current wood - sand, fill, oil, and add packers under the part that has dropped, 3) add something to to the top of the existing wood after refurb (damp proof membrane, add deck boards or batons to top).

Sponsored Links
you do not want wide boards as they will hold more water as a larger area 4x143 mm would work well

that seat is a danger to small children and animals --please keep this in mind?

as an aside just because you have it as a balcony do not assume its allowed as it may not be
also do you own the downstairs and the level with the seat ??
iff you dont it may be trespass

Last edited:
Can you not revive the wood with a bit of elbow grease?
It's in keeping with the balcony and matches the wood around the french door.

Thanks all - read through all the posts and useful considerations. No ownership issues on balcony, and balcony not for children / visitors - it's off my bedroom with lockable key, other outdoor space for use with friends / family.

I think three options:
1) revive existing seat - pros: inexpensive, doable by myself, low risk. Cons: final finish perhaps, ongoing maintenance
2) 1 + adding something to top of existing refurb'd seat
3) decking on substructure to create new seat - pros: low maintainance, good finish, cons: more expensive and complex, potentially require help from company

I leaning towards trying 1, and if it's not quite right 2 or 3. Aiming for 3 in the longer term - there's a lot to do on our new place, it was rented out for 10 years with a lot of maintainance and upgrades now required.

Thanks all for help - I will update this thread with some photos when I start and finish!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back