basic paving project: a few simple questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have never done paving before... but it doesnt seem to be a difficult job. I have a few simple questions and I hope I can get help here.
It is a very basic project (front yard of around 10sq meters) currently covered with gravel. Thinking to remove the gravel and lay slabs.

1. Can I compact the sub base somehow manually without a plate compactor? Simply because it is just 10sq meters... I don't think it is necessary to hire a plate compactor, also, it is very low traffic front yard (only humans walking through it occasionally), and also some of the bits would be hard to reach by a compactor (like corners and around the drains).
2. If I go with slabs, can I do so called dry laying? I have seen projects done without mortar... sub base being mot1 or sharp sand. If so, what sub base would be recommended in my case?

I attach the photo of a front yard as it looks currently and what is beneath the gravel, beneath the gravel (that I am going to remove) there is solid/hard soil. I dont know what is it, but this is what the builder while building the property did spread the gravel on. I dont know if its a natural rock, or some type of base used and compacted by a builder.

Many thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20240929_081043.jpg
    IMG_20240929_081043.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 8
Sponsored Links
You need to uncover more , the small area against the curb is going to be cement base holding it, may be totally different elsewhere .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back