Basin with round tap holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back when I was alive, basins had square holes and taps had a square on the bottom so they don't move when you shut them off.
Mind you, even 30 years ago that started going pear-shaped, I remember putting new taps in an old basin where I created the squares on the taps by locking two brass back-washers onto each tap with Araldite then filing them to a square, but then the basin had squares so it worked OK.

Picture...

And yes, I made the cupboard from an old laboratory worktop, a sideboard and some oak flooring, and I did the tiling. But then I had all the time in the world or thought I did.

Anyway, now I see that common sense has been totally mislaid. Now the taps have no square and the basin holes are round.

How is one supposed to fix them so they don't rotate?

Sponsored Links
They often come with a rubber washer to tighten on to so it grips whilst also providing a bit of cushion against the ceramic.

Top hat washers (split click are one type) were designed to create a better, more stable and self loosening resistant fixing system for basin/sink taps. They do actually work but not required if, as suggested, a tap when properly fitted and tightened shouldn't really come loose. anyway

Sponsored Links
How is one supposed to fix them so they don't rotate?
Tap connectors don't need too much tightening (less than eg a compression fitting) so if the tap is tightened well, as others have said, it shouldn't be a problem.

You can use a tapmate washer and a brass backnut for that "no-one's ever going to wiggle this" approach but it's rarely needed.

You can use a tapmate washer and a brass backnut for that "no-one's ever going to wiggle this" approach but it's rarely needed.

The old classic 72000177!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back