Bath Panel and Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for ideas on how to a) repair damaged top part of bath (see pic) and b) fit a new bath panel around the pipe going under the bath, are there any other ways apart from cutting a hole in the bath panel to allow for the pipe?

bath.jpg

Sponsored Links
What happened to the previous bath panel? Why is the edge of the bath broken? And why is there no timber frame to accept the panel. And why do you have a pipe running out of the edge of the bath?

I am not plumber, but there are many things wrong with this picture.

Is this a rental property? If yes, and you own it, why not pay someone to do the job properly- ie not having a pipe running out the side of a panel. If you want to waterproof it in the short term, you could cut a notch in the panel, push it up and then use a ridiculous amount of expanding foam to fill the gaps.

That bath needs to be replaced. If you are the homeowner and are short of cash, consider expanding foam as a SHORT term fix.

Last edited:
What happened to the previous bath panel? Why is the edge of the bath broken? And why is there no timber frame to accept the panel. And why do you have a pipe running out of the edge of the bath?

I am not plumber, but there are many things wrong with this picture.

Is this a rental property? If yes, and you own it, why not pay someone to do the job properly- ie not having a pipe running out the side of a panel. If you want to waterproof it in the short term, you could cut a notch in the panel, push it up and then use a ridiculous amount of expanding foam to fill the gaps.

That bath needs to be replaced. If you are the homeowner and are short of cash, consider expanding foam as a SHORT term fix.

thanks for your advice, no I'm not a landlord ,I've bought a house and this is what I've inherited. I can't afford a new bathroom or major work so was looking at advice for repairing the top part of the bath and fitting the panel around the pipe.

Nothing wrong with having the pipe on show. I’m not convinced you’ll be able to repair the top of the bath without it looking awful. A new bath wouldn’t be all that expensive. You could opt for some resin, or maybe square it off and find some acrylic/pvc?

Sponsored Links
I assume the chrome pipe, is for an electric shower? You could easily drill a hole through the upper flat ledge of the bath, then run the pipe through a 15mm chrome, compression fitting, tightened against the underside.

Do you still have the broken off, edge of the bath? If you do, you could apply some strong tape to hold it temporarily in place, or maybe some superglue applied along the edge, just long enough, for you to apply car body filler (Plastic Padding), to the unseen back of it, to reinforce it.

If the part is missing, then all can do, is built it up with fibreglass, car body filler, sand it to shape, then paint it white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back