Bath tap washer query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am convinced the hop tap washer needs renewing. I assume I have to separate the top half of the tap from the bottom half to do this - am I correct?

Thanks in anticipation.
bath tap.JPG

Sponsored Links
To turn tap on fully ,does it take 1/4 turn ,if so you need to fit new valves,there is no washer to replace.

1. Isolate the water supply to the tap.
2. Remove the top half of the (globe shaped) valve handle from the lower half.
2.1 The top half should unscrew from the lower half, but they are often very stiff. Try pouring a kettle of very hot water (not boiling) over the tap handle and immediately loosening. Turn anti-clockwise looking down on the tap.
2.2 Wrap a cloth, or better still an old piece of rubber or leather around the top half if using grips. The top half is often quite thin metal, so try to avoid using too much force.
3. With the top half remove, use a good quality adjustable spanner on the (usually) brass hexagon holding the tap works in place in the body of the tap. Again likely to be stiff. Hot water and leverage. It will come out turning anti-clockwise looking down on the tap.
4. Clean up the tap and replace washer. If that's a bath tap, should be a 3/4" washer. The 3/4" is not a direct measurement, its what they are called.
5. Check the seat inside the tap against which the washer seals when closed. If it is pitted (medium to heavy pitting) or scored, use a tap reseating tool (e.g. Screwfix 89487) to make the seat smooth. Use the tool the minimum amount to clean up the seat.
6. If you want to make the job easier in future, lightly lubricate the moving parts, threads, and any O rings with silicone grease.
7. Reassemble and test.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Oldbuffer - I will carry out your instructions during the next week.

Thank you once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back