Bathroom bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you can help.

We have an en-suite shower room and it currently has no bonding. I beleive that I can do myself this without infringing Part P requirements to notify, but would like some confirmation.

I also want to make sure I connect all the relevant parts, so have made a few drawings attached below for your consideration.

Can you tell me what I have missed, got worong etc. Thanks

Current layout
Showerroomcurrent.jpg

Is this enough?
Showerroombonding1.jpg

Or do I need to do this?
Showerroombonding2.jpg

or is even more required?

Sponsored Links
Just consider you have to bond ALL metallic parts that could carry an exposed voltage into the room.

Oil rad, water heater, every pipe that enters the room (even if it goes out of the room and then back in), cross bond the hot and cold, shaver socket and lighting circuit (if they are on the same circuit only one needs to be bonded).

Dont use the water heater as a main terminal for the room - you should use one long piece of earth conductor, looped around the terminals and insulation stripped off where required.

(I like belt and braces) :LOL:

Dont use the water heater as a main terminal for the room - you should use one long piece of earth conductor, looped around the terminals and insulation stripped off where required.
Can't see how to do that as connection to powerstream or shaver point is choc block style.

Does the cable have to be visible, or can I pass through stud wall into connections at back of shaver point?

Sponsored Links
There is no reg that says that supp bonding has to be continuous, however it must be connected to all the points as Crafty says. In the past I have used a Main Earthing Terminal as a marshalling point for my supp bonding (accessible & labeled up of course)

Looks about right.

Just a few of pointers:

1.At the main earth terminal attach a label off a pipe clamp
2.You can use 4mm for supplementary bonding
3. If the lights and shaver socket are on the same circuit then why not bond between the earth at the light fitting and one of the pipes
4. You can use pipework as a supplemental bonding conductor, so if a pipe goes past 2 things that need to be bonded then you could strap both of them to the pipe (only if the pipe is continuous though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back