Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I have an inline extractor fan installed in a bathroom off the light so when light is switched on fan comes on and when light is switched off fan goes off.

Fan has the capability to set a timer but because my light is old wiring (red/black) I can't use the timer function on the fan.

I know I need to get a electrician in but how would a changed to have the fan work with timer?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No fan would work without a Neutral.

I think you mean it has no Permanent Line(live) for which you would need another wire from the light or the switch (depending on how it is wired) to the fan

No fan would work without a Neutral.

I think you mean it has no Permanent Line(live) for which you would need another wire from the light or the switch (depending on how it is wired) to the fan

Yeah realised that and changed post a bit apologies.

So the live coming from light can it be split and used as permanent live?

Fan has rhe capability to set a timer but because my light is old wiring (no neutral) I can't use the timer function on the fan.

I know I need to get a electrician in but how would a neutral be got for the fan to work with timer?

The neutral will be there, it's the permanent live, which is missing and needed. What you have at the fan at the moment, is a neutral, and a switched live.

To have the timer work, you need permanent live. Depending upon when your home was last rewired - you might find it was wired using joint boxes. In which case there will be a permanent live, available in the joint box. So all it needs, is just an extra wire from the joint box, to the fan.

Sponsored Links
The neutral will be there, it's the permanent live, which is missing and needed. What you have at the fan at the moment, is a neutral, and a switched live.

To have the timer work, you need permanent live. Depending upon when your home was last rewired - you might find it was wired using joint boxes. In which case there will be a permanent live, available in the joint box. So all it needs, is just an extra wire from the joint box, to the fan.

Not that I will do anything so if I had a voltage meter and used it on the live from the light it would only read once switched on??

So the light is on a pull cord switch - I take it the wiring to the pull cord switch has a permanent live which in turn switches live to the light when the cord is pulled?

If this is the case can the permanent live going to the pull cord switch be split with a permanent live then going to the fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back