Bathroom fan wires won't reach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, replacing an old bathroom extractor fan, the wires are too short to fit into the connectors. How do I extend these safely please? Pic attached, thanks
20240924_152236.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you tried pulling a slack down through the wall?

(We have to ask the obvious first sometimes.)

Move the fan :LOL:

Seriously, there’s room in there for a small 3way choc block. There is probably a spare one in the old fan. Then three bits of wire to extend the extra few inches.
Sorted #1

Or, turn the fan 90º clockwise. It doesn’t say “top” or “this way up”. Drill a new 20mm hole for the cable.
Sorted #2

Sponsored Links
.... Seriously, there’s room in there for a small 3way choc block.
Maybe, although it looks as if there is unusually little space - it might be necessary to use three separate bits of chock block, in 'staggered' positions.
There is probably a spare one in the old fan.
If it's like the new fan,the on'y 'connector block'may be the one soldered to the timer PCB - although new ones are obviously readily available.
Or, turn the fan 90º clockwise. It doesn’t say “top” or “this way up”. Drill a new 20mm hole for the cable.
I don't see any "Top" or "this side up" marking on the OP's one, but most fans (e.g. Manrose ones) do have that, seemingly designed to keep the timer electronics at the top (I imagine to protect it from drips of condensation). Interestingly, the OP's one has the time electronics at the bottom, so it probably would not be a bad idea to rotate it - at least partially killing two birds with one stone!

Kind Regards, John

Yes. But they usually come in strips of 12 individual terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back