Bathroom Light and Extractor fan wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if any knowledgeable electricians could help.
We moved in to a property which has a light and extractor fan in the bathroom.
The extractor fan does not work when the light is turned on.
Replaced the fan and still nothing.
Gone in to the loft to look at the wiring removing all the insulation over the top of it.....whoever did this has created a fire risk by not using a junction box.
However, wondering if anybody can see anything wrong with the wiring causing the extractor fan not to power up???(picture attached)
Have tried identifying wires in the picture to the best of my knowledge.

Attachments

• Wiring light.jpg
    Wiring light.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Difficult to see but if it’s a timed fan have you got 3 and 6 the wrong way round (switched live and neutral)?

Sponsored Links
Difficult to see but if it’s a timed fan have you got 3 and 6 the wrong way round (switched live and neutral)?
Do you mean at the fan??
The fan is a knightsbridge EX004TPC with overrun timer

If i swap them around and try it....will it damage the fan?

I have a voltage detector pen to check live voltage in wire
You need to check that there is a voltage on the L wire
You need to check that there is a voltage on the T wire that goes on and off with the switch
You need to check that the neutral (N) is actually connected to neutral. Your magic wand wont help you there, you need a multimeter, at least.

You need to check that there is a voltage on the L wire
You need to check that there is a voltage on the T wire that goes on and off with the switch
You need to check that the neutral (N) is actually connected to neutral. Your magic wand wont help you there, you need a multimeter, at least.
100% hear ya.
My multimeter is broke so will need to get a new one

Thanks everyone. Bought a new multimeter and will test wires to make sure there is power going to the fan.
Will let you know

Weird.....so tested the terminals at the extractor fan with a multimeter.
Permanent live and neutral returns 247v
Switched live and neutral returns 0v when switch off.
Switched live and neutral returns 247v when switch is on
Does this mean the fan must be at fault?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back