Battery connection for LED strips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have at least 4 sets of LED light strips, that you can cut down and add lights with soldering or a kit. Each set is powered by their own battery supply, can I join all of the strips together, with either a bigger battery supply (going from AAA to > AA) or by adding the battery boxes stacked together?

Wouldn’t this distribute the power down the line, or would it make the first lights brighter and have no power at the end of the strip?

Sponsored Links
I have some sets of Led lights. They are designed to plug together, end to end. They get dimmer and dimmer the further away from the power it gets. That's because the very thin copper tracks on the circuit boards drop too much voltage.
Eventually I wired them in a ring, and that sorted out the problem.
a bigger battery supply
will not help the problem.

I would say it depends on how the current through the LED's is controlled, in the main it seems three LED's and a resistor in series, and they are then connected in parallel and each group of three has the option to cut before the next group, however some use a driver which will allow LED's all the same current rating to be powered in series, with a max and min voltage, tends to be max 75 volt as over that DC becomes low voltage not extra low voltage, so the rules change.

Using a chip to regulate one can have a huge voltage difference, many bulbs for caravans and boats rated 10 to 30 volt, so there is no fixed answer. But in the main as @Taylortwocities says, I have three sets of LED light strips, and each has it own power supply, there was a plug in the kit to allow cutting and rejoining, but this would have overloaded the power supply if I had tried to run two full strips off one power supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back