Battery Light Warning

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
My battery light came on today and i turned engine off for a few minutes to see if there was a poblem and it might go off it didnt i tried it again still stayed on , power steering got a bit heavy ,so an hour later i checked the battery with a meter on terminals it said it was fine and was charging ok, then when i checked dash board the Battery light was off, should i drive it now or will it happen again ?

I just realised ii got this Alternator and belt put in 2022

Also the lights gone off now

Sponsored Links
Nobody can answer without more information.

What car, age, mileage. What figures on the meter? Engine off, on, at idle and fast revs, with and without electrical load.

Toyot corolla 280,000, i dont have a meter im getting one tomorrow,

With the engine running at a fast tickover - say 2000 rpm- you should see around 14.5 v across the battery and this shouldn’t fall much with the lights on.
On starting up, look for around 13v or slightly less and on cranking not less than 11v.
John

Sponsored Links
Update Folks, I found a Charger Volt Meter Car Battery Monitor with LED Voltage & Amps Display, Cigarette Lighter Adapter, and i forgot i had it plugged it in 12.2 - 12.4 , dropped when i revved , handy little device

Charged battery all day went up to 13 but went quick back down to 12.4 , the battery light is still on defo a clanking sound on side do u think i will get 4 km to garage tomorrow ?

Happened to two cars of ours. Travelled less than 5 miles in each case. One car made it comfortably without any collateral damage (apart from the faulty alternator), but the other one took the battery with it (which may have been quite old to start with).

Back