Bayonet light fitting in shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, complete novice question…. The light in my shed stopped working and when I checked the wiring, I saw that the brown wire was disconnected -see photo. Which terminal/wire does the brown wire connect to?

Thanks very much.

Jon

Attachments

• 0A78F581-5D4E-408C-874B-4970EC0636E5.jpeg
    0A78F581-5D4E-408C-874B-4970EC0636E5.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
"Brown to Red and Blew to bits" as some calls it.
Yes we used Red for L and Black for Neutral for many years and they became Brown and Blue respectively - but you can never be certain what somebody has actually done so always best to use this purely as initial guess in the first instance but check properly before you rely on it.

Although with a bayonet lamp holder, it does not strictly matter.

For years, I fitted a brand of that fitting that had two white conductors going to the lamp terminals.

But if your leads are different colours, it's best practice to put them in their correct place.

The bit I've arrowed is to hook the wires under to take some of the weight off the terminal.
1720112671638.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back