Best Humidistat extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a problem with his kitchen wall where paint on part of the wall (external) is flaking. I have had a damp surveyor visit his home and he said that due to the lack of airflow, there is high humidity within the kitchen which is likely to be contributing to the problem.

The surveyor recommends a humidistat extractor fan is installed in the kitchen. Can anyone recommend a particular extractor fan that is effective & silent, and will reduce the humidity within the kitchen?

We did not particularly want to fit airbricks at the top & bottom of the kitchen wall (to help with airflow) because of traffic noise coming inside the house

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as an effective humidistat fan in my experience.

They are tedious to set up and inconsistent.

I would say consider a fan which is on all the time that you can also boost.

Where is all the moisture coming from? Cooking, drying clothes? Lack of general ventilation?
Does the kitchen have a cooker hood that extracts outside?

Last edited:
The ground floor consists of a through lounge and then the kitchen. Since the house is near a roundabout, there are no trickle vents on the windows at the front of lounge and at the back of the lounge. There is no door between the rear lounge and the kitchen. The kitchen contains a window which does have a trickle vent.

The damp/flaking paint is on the external wall of the kitchen. The kitchen units touch this external wall. Not sure if thernally insulating the inside of the wall will help. I have attached a photo of this wall.

Attachments

• IMG_1819.jpeg
    IMG_1819.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back