Best way to fix steel channels to concrete wall (no-fines concrete)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I do think it's at least partially relevant though.

This sort of channel is what I'm talking about: https://www.screwfix.com/p/deta-tte-25mm-galvanised-steel-channel-2m/245vt

Normally, I imagine one would use galvanized nails to affix the channel into where you've chased out the wall. In my case, since the build is non-standard (Wimpey no-fines) nails (and even drilling for that matter) are a no-go. Here's an example of how my walls look behind the plaster, this is an old photo from when I was just beginning to chase out the wall for sockets:

20240606_140123.jpg

I figured my best option would probably be to either use something like Gripfill or maybe a hot glue gun? Figured i'd ask here in case there was a better/easier option.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes, Gripfill is wonderful.

You don't have to use channel, you know.

It is only for containment while filling so you could just stick the cable to the wall (a lot narrower chase required) or use plastic channel which might be easier to deal with.

Yes, Gripfill is wonderful.

You don't have to use channel, you know.

It is only for containment while filling so you could just stick the cable to the wall (a lot narrower chase required) or use plastic channel which might be easier to deal with.

Thanks! And yeah I didn't know channels weren't required until I had already bought them and chased out the walls ‍♂️ so now I'm committed! Plus, I guess if the next owners end up needing to move/change things it should make it a bit easier to get the cables out cleanly I guess!

So gripfill should be the decent option in my case?

Sponsored Links
Personally I would use pvc oval conduit - as trying to hold onto the capping, whilst checking the cables are under it nicely, whilst trying to fix or stick it down is going to be very frustrating.

At least if the cables are already threaded into the oval conduit, there's a lot less to handle whilst fixing it down.

Personally I would use pvc oval conduit - as trying to hold onto the capping, whilst checking the cables are under it nicely, whilst trying to fix or stick it down is going to be very frustrating.

At least if the cables are already threaded into the oval conduit, there's a lot less to handle whilst fixing it down.

I did see that was a suggestion a while back, my only issue was that it seemed much "thicker" than the steel channels;

For example this one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/deta-tte-oval-upvc-white-conduit-16mm-x-2m/145vt

I feel like the depth of the chase would need to be at least twice that of the channel, no? They don't state how thick the conduit is, only the width... Obviously this wouldn't be a problem to consider with normal walls but with concrete that is a ballache to chase out... sigh

Would happily go and get some of this conduit if I'd know how "thick" it is!

Vadevious said:
if the next owners end up needing to move/change things it should make it a bit easier to get the cables out cleanly I guess!

That might not make it as easy as you would think to draw out old then draw in new undamaged. Plus the trouble with capping (metal) is that it often needs more than one piece for a run, that can creates sharpish ends for any cable to slide past.

Vadevious said:
if the next owners end up needing to move/change things it should make it a bit easier to get the cables out cleanly I guess!

That might not make it as easy as you would think to draw out old then draw in new undamaged. Plus the trouble with capping (metal) is that it often needs more than one piece for a run, that can creates sharpish ends for any cable to slide past.
Pulling a cable out of metal capping = machine for stripping cable before taking to the scrap yard.

To be fair, I was thinking more along the lines of people chiseling out the channel to remove it before removing cables - say, if they wanted to continue a connection from that specific area or something :) But regardless, I got some oval upvc conduit yesterday so I'm all good!

Drawing a cable out of metal conduits of all ages might be done successfully and ditto installing a new one, I said "might" . On the very odd occasion I have done so i have only replaced with a sloppy fit blunt ended insulated AND sheathed cable and extremely carefully too, too risky really so best avoided except perhaps with very short straight runs and great care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back