Best way to soundproof a timber floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to provide some good soundproofing on my newly installed loft floor. The old FF ceiling/ loft floor has been replaced by new joists, 200x50 at 400 centres.

The SE has said I need to glue and screw ply to the joists so I won't be able to float the subfloor. The current plan is to put resilient bars or clips on the underside of the joists, acoustic wool between, glue and screw ply on top, then acoustic boards, then vynil planks. The products i've researched which products to use but there are so many avialable, and I can't seem to figure out what makes a certain product better than another, with nowhere providing testing/ comparison on them. I'm reluctant to reach out to any of the sites for help, as they seem to just push the brand they stock. My questions would be as follows:

1) For the acoustic boards, what product is best? There are many brands and types. Is it better to go with separate boards for airbourne and impact noise, or boards that combine both?

2) Is the build up I suggested above the best method for soundproofing here?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back