Big crack at top window reveal, potential cause? Can I fix it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Background info: Roughly 1.5 years ago got uPVC windows replaced with new uPVC windows. House is 60s construction, likely originally timber frame. Exterior of window has row of soldier bricks and surveyor said likely no lintel. I am not sure when the crack appeared as it was covered by a blind, but doing some renovations noticed it today. I can't recall seeing it before or atleast not as bad, but cannot confirm that.

Today I noticed that there was a large horizontal crack on the top window reveal - photos attached. Material feels plasticy but inside is like plasterboard or something, not sure exactly what it is. I am wondering if its the brickwork on the exterior "coming down" causing the crack and a minor slope on the top of the reveal. The slope isn't massive but its noticeable, further down after where the crack is. Not sure if it was sloping originally when bought the house 2 years ago.

Can't see any obvious cracks outside or nearby inside. Trying to figure out if its the brickwork sagging down externally causing slope + eventual crack or what other causes, and potential remedies - ideally one I can DIY.

Photos:
Screenshot_20240619_225714.png

Screenshot_20240619_225747.png

Screenshot_20240619_225842.png

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Background info: Roughly 1.5 years ago got uPVC windows replaced with new uPVC windows. House is 60s construction, likely originally timber frame. Exterior of window has row of soldier bricks and surveyor said likely no lintel. I am not sure when the crack appeared as it was covered by a blind, but doing some renovations noticed it today. I can't recall seeing it before or atleast not as bad, but cannot confirm that.

Today I noticed that there was a large horizontal crack on the top window reveal - photos attached. Material feels plasticy but inside is like plasterboard or something, not sure exactly what it is. I am wondering if its the brickwork on the exterior "coming down" causing the crack and a minor slope on the top of the reveal. The slope isn't massive but its noticeable, further down after where the crack is. Not sure if it was sloping originally when bought the house 2 years ago.

Can't see any obvious cracks outside or nearby inside. Trying to figure out if its the brickwork sagging down externally causing slope + eventual crack or what other causes, and potential remedies - ideally one I can DIY.

Photos:
View attachment 346645
View attachment 346644
View attachment 346643
Looks like a bit of slam movement, i.e. the door dynamics are causing the brickwork above to give a wee bit, because they are directly attached to the frame via silicone, foam, fixings etc.
Needs and angle steel or proprietary external steel lintel fitting. Remove the headers, prop with strongboys, fit the steel and re-lay the headers. Not a job for the faint hearted, especially the masonry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back