Black mould on sloping edges of the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My upstairs bedroom's ceiling slopes slight around the edges because it goes up by about 12 inches to the loft space. As a result, the sloping part is not insulated properly like the flat part of the ceiling.

It gets cold and condensation forms resulting in mould growth on these sloping ceilings.

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Sponsored Links
My upstairs bedroom's ceiling slopes slight around the edges because it goes up by about 12 inches to the loft space. As a result, the sloping part is not insulated properly like the flat part of the ceiling.

It gets cold and condensation forms resulting in mould growth on these sloping ceilings.

What is the best way to solve this problem?
Insulate the sloping bits by adding as much thickness of PIR insulation BENEATH and across the rafters. You'll need some loooong screws. (y)

Foam. Foam sticking kingspan on.
Insulation is what you need to raise dew point. Anything you can do.

Brick shortages after the war in 50s ment some houses have sloping ceilings to save bricks I was told.
Causes problems though with condensation

Brick shortages after the war in 50s ment some houses have sloping ceilings to save bricks I was told.
Causes problems though with condensation
Probably one of the most overlooked (as well as bay windows) as far as adequate insulation/venting detail, is concerned.

Sponsored Links
ensure there is adequate ventilation - especially at night because us humans exhale a lot of moisture, as as you have found it tends to settle on the coldest surfaces

Thank you for your suggestions so far. I have heard that because I cannot get the rockwool insultation into the tight space at the edge of the eves, pouring down Vermiculite such as this one is a way of solving the problem and insulate the hard to get to space.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004VL54MI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A184RCZ8L3ZP2S&psc=1

Is this recommended and does anybody have any experience with this?
Coved ceiling square mould patches.jpg
Coved ceiling built in wardrobe.jpg

The house was built in the 1950s. Attached are photos showing the mould.

Thank you for your suggestions so far. I have heard that because I cannot get the rockwool insultation into the tight space at the edge of the eves, pouring down Vermiculite such as this one is a way of solving the problem and insulate the hard to get to space.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004VL54MI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A184RCZ8L3ZP2S&psc=1

Is this recommended and does anybody have any experience with this?
View attachment 354255View attachment 354254
The house was built in the 1950s. Attached are photos showing the mould.
You have classic 'shadowing' whereby the rafters are visible due to the cold bridging etc. That ceiling rake is crying out for insulation ACROSS and BENEATH those rafters.

You have classic 'shadowing' whereby the rafters are visible due to the cold bridging etc. That ceiling rake is crying out for insulation ACROSS and BENEATH those rafters.
Yes, that is what I thought. Would pouring down Vermiculite be much easier? Are there any problems associated with this? I know that it may be more expensive than insulating wool or foam but much quicker to do.

Yes, that is what I thought. Would pouring down Vermiculite be much easier? Are there any problems associated with this? I know that it may be more expensive than insulating wool or foam but much quicker to do.
No, as stated in the post you quoted, the staining from the rafters will remain. You need insulation below or below and between.

Roofer or general builder.
Depends on access and space available for the insulation.
Scaffold needed and lift tiles to gain access?
Or you could pull down plasterboard and add insulation from the inside?

If you are reasonably useful with diy / tools you can do it yourself. The rafters are already showing themselves which is a big bonus! With a pencil mark the ceiling top and botton of each rafter , making sure you allow for the thickness of the insulated plasterboard, by which I mean when you offer up the new plasterboard will you still be able to see your marks! All that is required after that is screwing up some new insulating plasterboard over the original uninsulated sloping ceiling using your marks as guides to locate the old afters. I would strongly recommend you remove the wallpaper first and use spray some anti mould on the are before fitting the new materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back