Blanking Nuts on 1950s Compression Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to blank off some pipework on a1950s house. The pipes look like 15 and 22 mm but I don't know what was used in those days. I bought some flomasta 15 and 22 mm blanking nuts to blank off one outlet each on a couple of compression tees, but the threads are just too small to fit the old compression fittings. Is there something similar I should look for? At the moment speeffit end caps on pipe stubs are working, but I don't want to leave them, as the pipework will ultimately be inaccessible.

I really want to remove the pipe stubs as one of them branches at another tee. This old compression tee is weeping, probably due to being disturbed. There isn't enough straight pipe to fit a compression end cap after the first tee before the pipe goes into the weeping one, hence wanting to simply remove the pipe and fit a blanking nut. Would a metric compression cap fit the pipe, in any case?

There may just be space to add a new, short, straight, stub on the first tee, but will 22 mm pipe and olives work? Or a length of old pipe and a new olive, or?

Metric solder fittings seem to fit the old pipe, which could be an option to replace the speedfit, but only if I can fix the weeping joints.

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
If your certain the pipework is original from the 50s it won't be metric it will be 1/2in and 3/4in.
Some clear pictures of what you have would be useful.
Compression fittings from that period had a number of different thread pitches.

Sponsored Links
3/4 BSP cap nuts will not fit on any tee made for 22mm or 3/4inch pipe.
If the tee is no longer needed replace with an elbow or straight coupler, and preferably soldered fittings not compression.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back