Blocking up external doorway when no bricks available.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to block up an external doorway, but after searching for a very long time there is nothing available that is even remotely close. As we cannot get anything that would look similar I was thinking of using 75mm aerated blocks tied with starter bars to the bricks, set back so the insides edge lines up giving a 25mm recess, and then a thin coat render applied to the outside to make a sort of feature of it rather than trying to hide it and it look obvious.

The existing internal skin is the old cinder blocks - would it be better to use concrete block with starter bars, or would higher density aerated block be okay there?

The cavity itself is 60mm, and has been filled with a full fill injected strand some time back. what insulation would you recommend for the blocked in door way? I assume I need to cut the reveal so the cavity is open before blocking the doorway up, or could that just be left as-is?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back