Blue? fuse tripped while working on circuit that was off...arching?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to change a socket.
Turned kitchen sockets off at mcb.
Tested and was no power to socket. Or kitchen.
Started to connect new socket.
Blue fuse tripped and took out power to other circuits... dont understand. Or know what that means?
All fine now but blue fuse has red marker.
What do I do with that red marker now?
Note: heater and oven off as needs wiring moving for wall replanted and socket move. which was next job. Dont feel safe doing it now.
Thanks.
Screenshot_20241002_104227_Gallery.jpg20241002_103755.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is not a fuse but a Residual Current Device which detects current leakage to earth.

You must have touched the neutral and earth together.

Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Just switch it back on.
I was moving the wires about when it tripped even though socket wasn't live. Likely did touch. So makes sense

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the red marker just mean it is switched on?
Hopefully:)
I'm suprised it did that if the fuse was off while working on it. Does it still have current when off. I'm sure I'd have known about it being live when touching the wires to replace switch. Just confused me.

Hopefully:)
I'm suprised it did that if the fuse was off while working on it. Does it still have current when off.
Yes, the Neutral is not disconnected by the MCB and all the Neutrals on the RCD side are connected together which in turn are connected to earth at the source so current can flow when touching earth.

I'm sure I'd have known about it being live when touching the wires to replace switch. Just confused me.
You might be wise in future to switch off the Main Switch even though inconvenient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back