Board fixing screws Lost their heads (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas/girls, I have, perhaps, an unusual problem. Could you give me an answer or two?
I've used N & C for doing a bathroom, except that, when attaching the super strong tile backer boards to the studding I decided I wanted to use stainless steel screws and washers. I used Timco's stainless steel set and, in the process, three screw heads came off. I replaced them. Now I'm beginning to worry that the four by two porcelain tiles might just bring too much weight to the screw heads when I think the bathroom finished.
Has anybody had this scenario before?
What should I do.
I've made the problem a little worse because I've already taped the joints.

What the hell should I do?

Sponsored Links
Stainless steel screws are easy to snap when tightening them, but shear load wise you should be OK. I suspect that you didn't drill pilot holes first.

Thanks 'opps;' ah, the delicate ways of success. I wonder if the wood being over thirty years old may have contributed, as well.

Thanks 'opps;' ah, the delicate ways of success. I wonder if the wood being over thirty years old may have contributed, as well.

Whilst I don't use them very often, I have snapped SS screws when drilling into softwood fencing. I didn't have a freakishly long drill bit and didn't want the chuck on my drill to scuff the panels. On reflection, I should have used regular screws to make the holes and then removed them and used the SS screws after.

Sponsored Links
most cheap steel is made in China, and often contains 0% nickel in the alloy.

Nickel greatly strengthens it, but is an expensive metal so is omitted for customers who want a cheap product.

You can get away with it if you treat it as gently as brass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back