Boiler in a bathroom cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the rules? I saw someone somewhere suggest it can't touch Zone 1, is that right?
I'd use a standard kitchen cabinet with a lock on it.
Would it matter whether or not there's an rcd on that circuit?

Sponsored Links
As its in a cupboard its not in a zone.......

(example: Tested a property were the fuseboard was in the bathroom, as it was in a cupboard it was not classed as being a zone, I am still not convinced but I dont make the rules)

Any other sparks comments welcome.....

I had a similar situation some months ago, plumber asked me to connect a combi boiler he had installed in zone 2 in a bathroom, i declined at first but he insisted so i rung NIC help and they said under no circumstance can the boiler be connected, whether in a locked cupboard, via rcd or even isolating transformer.

This is very silly.
Who makes the %&+~@* rules!
Is it not clear in the 16th edn regs?? :eek:

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
What are the rules? I saw someone somewhere suggest it can't touch Zone 1, is that right?
I'd use a standard kitchen cabinet with a lock on it.
Would it matter whether or not there's an rcd on that circuit?

Why would you want to install a boiler above the bath tub / shower basin, even if in a locked cupboard?

Current one is high up above the foot of the bath but would be a bit low to clear zone 1. Alternative is to put the thing in the loft, which isn't ideal.

I've put a few in such places before; sometimes there's just nowhere else unless the customer will put up with a boiler in a bedroom or the living room - which I wouldn't!

You can put the boiler in zone1 only if the manufacturer says that it is sutiable for this. I can't see a normal boiler being suitable. The loft, kitchen or bedroom may be a better option.

If you like you could ask the cupboard manufacturer to state in writing the cupboard is suitable for mounting a boiler in within zone 1 of a bathroom. See what they say :LOL:

I do find the NIC are very quick to pooh-pooh 7671 in favour of their "own" regs...makes a mockery of 7671 really.

As Ban's mate Paul Cook from the IEE says, the regs are a minimum. You can exceed the requirements.........

But to my mind, either a cupboard is outside the zones or it ain't. If it is, then you should be OK wherever the cupboard is.

However, I would concur with the others and would check that the product is intended for mounting in a particular location. That goes for anything.

You wouldn't mount a standard JB outside, would you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back