Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I live in Eastbourne and have a gravity heating system, the boiler has failed and been capped off by the gas board.
I received the following quotes from a local company to just replace the boiler and another to change to a combi.
I would be very grateful if somebody can advise me if these quotes are reasonable? The combi option appears quite pricy and is the one I really wanted.
Many thanks in anticipation.....

Boiler replacement
£2,300.00
To replace current heat only boiler with alpha etec 15R heat only boiler. System to stay the same
To add magnetic filter onto system
To add inhibitor to heating system
To supply boiler and all materials
Boiler to come with 7 years warranty
Duration work 1-2 days

Combi boiler
£4,200.00
To convert from heat only system to a combi boiler and to supply and install alpha etec 33 plus combi boiler
To remove hot water cylinder and water tanks in loft
To install new thermostat. To add new filter
To supply all materials
Boiler to come with 10 years warranty
Duration of work 2-3 days
Power shower
£520.00
To replace mira event xs power shower like for like
To supply shower unit
Subtotal
£7,020.00
Total
£7,020.00

Sponsored Links
Almost 3000 quid to supply and fit a shower,and 4200 quid for boiler swap?? Must be a hell of a shower !!
Why do you want a combi by the way ??

Almost 3000 quid to supply and fit a shower,and 4200 quid for boiler swap?? Must be a hell of a shower !!
Why do you want a combi by the way ??
Not sure if you're joking or what??
I liked the idea of a combi as it replaces all the old kit in the loft etc so everything will be new. Also, I thought a combi will be ideal for my small 3 bed terrace.
If you prefer just replacing the boiler, grateful if you can explain your reason apart from the high price i have been given. I was also advised to get either a Vaillant or Worcester Bosch boiler, are these worth the extra money??
What would a ball park figure be for a new combi boiler fitted?
thanks...

Sponsored Links
Is £4720 a reasonable quote for a combi and shower or should I get some more prices. The price seems to me more than what British Gas would charge.
So, should I keep the gravity system or change to a combi?? thoughts please??

Keep the gravity system and just have the boiler replaced. I think a system clean should be done too.

I have a gravity system, it seems there are three versions, C-Plan_old2.jpgC-Plan_old.jpgC-Plan.jpg the first allows no control over the DHW, the second allows one to set summer temperature of DHW, and the third allows both summer and winter setting of DHW temperature, I have the first, but clearly the C Plan can be set up to do all you want.

The Mira event XS power shower is wholly unsuitable for connection to any mains water pressures hot and cold ,it is specifically stated in Mira's technical specifications for that shower ,it's designed to be connected to gravity plumbing set ups ,which is what you currently have . Changing to a combi boiler means all water outlets ,hot and cold would be under mains water pressure.
I may have misunderstood your original post , particularly the quoted prices.
If you are quoted £4200 for a combi to be supplied and installed ,including all the conversion work / tank and cylinder removed etc ,that's not a bad price for the area, particularly if it includes VAT.

Thx guys for the info....
Looks like I may keep the gravity system.
Is the Etec 15R a good choice of boiler or should I go for say a Vaillant or Worcester Bosch?
Also, as the rest of the kit is 20+ years old, what else should I replace, cylinder, tank ball valve etc? Anything else??

The Mira event XS power shower is wholly unsuitable for connection to any mains water pressures hot and cold ,it is specifically stated in Mira's technical specifications for that shower ,it's designed to be connected to gravity plumbing set ups ,which is what you currently have . Changing to a combi boiler means all water outlets ,hot and cold would be under mains water pressure.
Very true, I remember my son swapping the two boilers for a combi one, and all the lock shield valves leaked, pressure does matter. And parents had to have their shower swapped, as illegal to have a power shower directly supplied from mains water, or so they were told.

Do you mean it's gravity
Thx guys for the info....
Looks like I may keep the gravity system.
Also, as the rest of the kit is 20+ years old, what else should I replace, cylinder, tank ball valve etc? Anything else??
Do you mean gravity hot water, pumped rads, or gravity for both and no pump (which is unlikely these days)?
If it's gravity hot water, pumped rads, it's worth considering changing to a fully pumped system, with W, Y or S-plan. My preference would be heat-only boiler, W-plan and keep the HW cylinder and F/E tank.

Thanks guys. As I asked, is the Etec 15R a good choice boiler? I'm aware its budget but should I be going for something better??

Thanks guys. As I asked, is the Etec 15R a good choice boiler? I'm aware its budget but should I be going for something better??
I don't know personally, but I seem to remember ianmcd on here giving Alpha boilers a good name a while back. Haven't seen him lately but if he sees this he might confirm (or deny!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back