Bonding an Immersion Heater in Airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The recent post on this subject didn't clear up the point for me: does an immersion heater in an airing cupboard require bonding into the supp. bonding?

Sponsored Links
Expect a photo soon of Kai's earth-fest....

OOI - which regulation says "if you do not carry out the supplementary bonding properly then you must bond to the IH cpc"? ;) :) :D :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It does no harm to earth the immersion heater properly.

There is no MAXIMUM size of earth cable prescribed for an immersion heater circuit in BS7671:2001, only a minimum size for a given method of installation/ambient temperature etc.

If I had some spare 10.0. sq.mm. cable left over from a cooker and shower install, I will happily use it to wire my immersion off a B16 amp Breaker, and confident it will be passed by Building Control Officers. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

kai said:
It does no harm to earth the immersion heater properly.

Are you saying that because I haven't got a mess like this...

earthot1.jpg

... that my installation is not earthed properly?

ban-all-sheds said:
OOI - which regulation says "if you do not carry out the supplementary bonding properly then you must bond to the IH cpc"? ;) :) :D :LOL:

LOL - It is permissible to do the supp bond for the bathroom inside the airing cupboard if this is in close proximity to the bathroom, and all the bonding can be achieved from there.

Didn't want him ripping out bonding if it did actually have a purpose :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back