bosch 24i junior dhw fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just come back from my hols my boiler is playing up it will allow you to run hot water for a while the cuts out with the flashing red light going once reset it some times lets you restart and sometimes you have to wait 10/15 minutes before it will let you run hot water, it tends to go out after 10 mins or so, I have checked the inline filter by the turbine and the dhw pressure switch at the heat exchanger both these seem ok. the fan runs on demand, did try central heating but didn't run it for long although it did fire up, any ideas,? its only about three/four years old, had 2 pumps and a thremocouple and a dhw pressure replaced by bosch, is this the friday boiler? fix or replace?

Sponsored Links
No, typical worcester :LOL: (sorry Craig)

Sounds as if the plate heat exchanger is blocked or scaled up. If the flow through the taps is the same it could be the system side.

This is repairable, I think you have just had bad luck, although the juniors don't seem to be as reliable as their bigger brothers.

This model doesn't have a plate exchanger (bithermal main heat ex.)

I have seen this problem before and it required a new board.
It may also be the APS etc.

May be worth calling Worcester on a fixed price (I think the boards are pricey £130 ?)

Don't know how they managed to replace the thermocouple since it doesn't have one. Two pumps gone indicates a poor installation on a sludged up system.

Gasguru said:
This model doesn't have a plate exchanger (bithermal main heat ex.)

Shows my knowledge of WB :oops: I'll stick to me Vaillants

May be worth calling Worcester on a fixed price (I think the boards are pricey £130 ?)

I always recommend this to any customers I visit who I find have more than a servicing problem with a WB.

£185 inclusive was the last price I was given.

Sponsored Links
It certainly sounds like a poorly installed boiler with a very dirty system.

The likelyhood is that any water related problem may be the underlying problem.

Although the indication is that it is a combustion aspect like the APS this time.

My advice is that the boiler should be proplerly checked by a competent engineer to identify all the issues and not just get it going.

The implication is that it is a boiler that has been badly installed by a cheap installer.

Can you substanciate that Worcester replaced the thermocouple?

Tony

It might not have been a thermocouple it was the name I was given for the pilot light ignitor etc, [is this the wrong name] the 1st pump was faulty at installation. second pump was last year. the rads on the system were all new 10 years ago and the colour of the water that comes out of the bleed valve is clear but a bit fizzy [is this the corosion inhibitor?] had shower this morning ran for about 10 mins then went of again, reset and it fired up ok but I didn't run it for long as I was of to work.

derekjb said:
It might not have been a thermocouple it was the name I was given for the pilot light ignitor etc

Boiler doesn't have a pilot injector, perhaps it was a thermistor or thermostat?

derekjb said:
the rads on the system were all new 10 years ago

Unfortunately brand new systems if not cleaned/inhibited or poorly installed can be rotten within months.

derekjb said:
and the colour of the water that comes out of the bleed valve is clear but a bit fizzy

Unfortunatley the water from a bleed screw rarely gives any indication of the system water, it nealy always looks nice and clean - all the sludge and muck settles to the bottom of the rads and coats the pipework. Only removing a rad and seeing the last dregs of water that come out will give an indication.

Since the fault is a little intermittant I suggested a fixed price repair from Worcester. Up to 3 parts can be changed (except main heat exchanger) and a years warranty. For faults such as this it may prove cheaper (especially if it turns out to be a board fault).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back