Bosch dishwasher tripping breaker - worth investigating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Granted it's an old unit that someone gave me second hand.

But things are tight right now and I am wondering if it's worth trying to diagnose and repair.

Any pointers as to fault finding before opening her up and getting a multimeter to it?

It doesn't trip immediately on power on but when cycle begins, have only removed it so far as haven't had the time so don't know if it's when pump tries to kick in or element Heating up! Planning on having a fiddle today as have no work booked in... I'm a plumber and heating engineer so not completely out of my depth on this lol!

Or don't bother in this throw away world?

TIA

D.

IMG_20240701_080038.jpg

Sponsored Links
Check plug and fuse.
Check socket wires are tight.
Check fused spur switch.
Loose wires may show signs of burning causing random trip.

Apart from checking the above if it's old bin it. Dishwashers are not easy to fix unless it's obvious

Check plug and fuse.
Check socket wires are tight.
Check fused spur switch.
Loose wires may show signs of burning causing random trip.

Apart from checking the above if it's old bin it. Dishwashers are not easy to fix unless it's obvious

Cheers for quick reply.

We had issues with supply on previous unit so thought it was that again, even though I have replaced the spur and outlet, but plugging it into a different circuit produces the same result.

Set it up in garden (where son left it) connected to outside tap and extension lead.

Used wet vac to empty it and sump.

Tested it outside and all good.
Reset it and plugged extension lead into the normal under counter socket that supplies it and all still good, on its usual cycle.

So, looks like maybe something was blocking the pump!

Will put it all back in it's hole and see how it goes.

Will also have a quick check of connections in socket

Sponsored Links
Over the years, I have repaired numerous white goods. When my dishwasher failed, I discovered that everything that I needed to access was at the bottom of the unit- requiring a complete strip down. After a while I gave up. It is far more complex than simply removing cover panels.

Edit- posted this without reading your previous post, nevertheless, I don't see why a blockage would trip the MCB, if the pump was working excessively, I would expect it blow the 13amp fuse rather than a 32A MCB.

Last edited:
I would expect it blow the 13amp fuse rather than a 32A MCB.

Think it was an RCD.
Fuse in spur is fine.
It's back in its hole now and working!
Tbh, on the day it started tripping the circuit, I tested it a couple of times and it continued to trip, so I fecked it off at the spur and went to work.
Few days later, my son decided to check it out and he reckoned it happened when plugged in elsewhere, so he disconnected it, flooded the kitchen unit and stuck it in the garden because it was starting to stink! so I went on his say so (stupid me)!

Found some machine screws in the wet vac tank so they "may" have come from the pump impeller but my wet vac sucks up all sorts of shiit from work so... Who knows?

I bet the dishwasher will continue to work fine, until the missus uses it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back