Bowed Cross Members

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks,

I had a surveyor out to view a property I am planning to buy and they mentioned bowing Cross Members not on the Purlins indicating excessive weight and to get a structural survey.

Are my right in thinking that they are likely just covering their arse and someone just just rested something heavy on the cross members. Like I mean the idea of those chunks of timber is to stop the roof pulling apart so how could they bow would they not be under horizontal stress with anything the purlins pulling them to keep it rigid?

Anyway what type of cost is involved in putting a few more cross members across the roof. Is it just case of throwing an extra few along additional purlins to give it strength?

Sponsored Links
I've jacked up joists and screwed cross beams across to straighten.
Also added timbers supports and bolted timber to the sides to strengthen.

Got any pictures?

In the picture with the expansion vessel you can see an older expansion tank that looks to be supported in an L fashion to the purlin and to the roof. Perhaps over years of that being used it caused stress on that part of the roof due to the weight of water which would have pulled the purlin downwards. EDIT: On closer expension it looks like the red expansion vessel is also holding on with that tiny bracket.

Attachments

• r2.png
    r2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • r3.png
    r3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • r5.png
    r5.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • r6.png
    r6.png
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 32
  • r7.png
    r7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • r8.png
    r8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2024-07-25 173227.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-25 173227.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back