Breezer, HEEELLLPPPP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Breezer M8,

I'm part of the way through the lighting problem that we've already talked about (see Light Ring; Suspect wiring) I've spent the last couple of days off mapping the ccts (not bitter and twisted about that at all) and cant make sense of the system thats in place m8.

The simple way of putting it would be to send you a pic but i've not got a web site as you've already told you. Could you do me a favour and send an email to the addy on my profile and i'll send you the pics of the plans.

I will understand if thats asking too much m8 so i'll explain the dilema:

I've mapped the light ccts in about 90% of the house, All the ceiling roses have two black to the nuetral side and one red to the other. I've mapped the blacks and they form a chain from the first to the last ceiling rose. I havn't mapped the individual switching (reds) yet that will be this week. Its lovely this juggling shift work, two kids, she who must be obeyed and the nights are fair drawing in so no lnatural light to play with.

Hope you can help

Cheers

Dinger

Sponsored Links
for all:

I have sent dinger451 my email address and when i get the pics i will post them on here

I should also like to point out that that i am not the only "sparks"

dinger541 said:
...All the ceiling roses have two black to the nuetral side and one red to the other. I've mapped the blacks and they form a chain from the first to the last ceiling rose.

You're right - that doesn't make sense at all. The wiring should form a chain from one rose to the next, so if you ignore the conductors for the switches and the light fitting itself, there would normally be two blacks on the neutral connector (one in, one out) and two reds (one in, one out).

It's a shame that we can't put images in our postings here - in cases like this they're worth, if not a thousand, then several dozen, words. On Jan 13th, site admin said "We will be adding that feature fairly soon". Any news on progress?

Sponsored Links
See here regarding posting images.

Summary; until we add the post image function, email pictures to [email protected], with details of the relevant topic and we will add them for you.

sounds like its wired like council houses....

neutrals at fitting, lives taken to the switches first then switch wire upto the fitting.. is the lighting circuit wired in singles / conduit.

IL78,

Funny you should say that m8, the house was a council house, and its wired with singles but not in conduit. I take it you mean by singles, single red with twisted core along wit (but seperate) single black with core.

I'm dying to find out wot the :£$%^^ will be the end of this....i just know its going to be easier to rewire.

DIYnot, thanx for the site it'll save Breezer being picked on by the likes of me in the future.

I'll post the pics and computer map that i've made onto the site and hopefully theyll be better than a thousand words.

Thanx agin all for the help.

Dinger

electrics under sarahs side.jpg
Lights and Switches plan.doc

il78 said:
sounds like its wired like council houses....
Funny that, our house (in the middle of our street !), ex-council, is the first house I've ever worked on where they used twin R&E for the switch wiring :confused:

Council workers must of found a spare coil of T&E lying around......I'm suprised they knew how to strip it.. :LOL:

I can see an argument happening here :evil:

Ok u 2 be nice.....lol

You can see from the pic taken under the eaves that the lighting cct is made up of single reds and blacks sheaved in grey going around the house voids....worrying!!!

If you zoom into the pic you'll see a conglomeration of cables all going into choc-block in the distance....again worryingly in possibly the hardest part of the house to access.

IL78 could you please explain a bit more about the wiring, given the lighting and switch plan, although its not finished as yet...i've only mapped the neutral lines so far. Does that corrospond to anything in your experience?

Cheers DIYnot for getting the pics on so fast.

Thanx for all the help guys, Oh and Breezer thanx for the offer m8 but this will do for now.

Thanx all

Dinger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back