Brenton bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to use these heavy duty bolts for a pair of shed doors:
IMG_4486.jpeg

The two doors are constructed in this way:
IMG_4477.jpeg

I have left a 6mm gap between door and frame and 5mm where the two doors meet.

I wanted to check if I need to take any specific measures to cope with the misalignment of this bolt when doors expand/contract.

Also, is it good practice to put the latch section on the door that opens first?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You may be surprised how easy it is to break these bolts......thieves hammer off the piece with the two holes and in they go.
Are there any alternatives you are considering?
Keep the bolt back from the timber edge in case that edge needs a touch with a plane.
Put the hinges on the edges from where the braces rise, and fit the bolt and keep when the door is hung successfully.
John

You may be surprised how easy it is to break these bolts.
I thought the heavy duty version may be stronger than that? Also, I had a squire padlock which I’ve been happy with. I could get another one of these for my second door and have it working with the same key. Would you suggest an alternative?

Put the hinges on the edges from where the braces rise, and fit the bolt and keep when the door is hung successfully.
I was thinking that the hinge will go on the central brace?

Three tee hinges perhaps?
The diagonal braces should rise from the hinge, ideally and one on the centre.
These bolts are held together by a riveting principle and as the bolt backplates are pretty thin, then so are the rivets! I’ve replaced quite a few due to people just levering them apart.
Let’s see if the others can recommend some bolts.
John

Sponsored Links
On a pair of doors, one of them will need internal sliding bolts top and bottom. Brenton bolts (padbolts) can't hold a pair of doors shut on their own.

I would say a heavy galv hasp and staple is slightly more secure, but you could still cut straight through it with a battery grinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back