British Gas RS1 Replacement with Corgi STTRSL-C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a BG RS1 Thermostat pictured and need to replace with the Corgi unit, which only has 1-6 connectors.
Before I replace I want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Based on this here: STTRSL-C-Spec (corgicontrols.com)

Am I right in saying that (based on the RS1 colours)

Red (Live) - Terminal 1
Blue (Neutral) Terminal 6
Loop Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 (Allow for LED)
Yellow (Switched Live) - Terminal 3

I've thought perhaps I can do without the Neutral wire, but given it's in the existing one, and there appears to be an old hive type unit right next to the tank upstairs, I expect it's needed.

Does that sound right?

Attachments

• IMG_8416.jpeg
    IMG_8416.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Red (Live) - Terminal 1
Blue (Neutral) Terminal 6
Loop Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 (Allow for LED)
Yellow (Switched Live) - Terminal 3
Correct.

I've thought perhaps I can do without the Neutral wire, but given it's in the existing one, and there appears to be an old hive type unit right next to the tank upstairs, I expect it's needed.
The neutral seems to be only for the neon to light.

Thank you!

I'd like to have the LED, looks a bit better for knowing whether the heating is on or not aside from the obvious radiator heat!

Sponsored Links
It came with the house, but from what I'm seeing it allows us to control the hot water schedule, or switch off. Then for the heating to work (and thermostat to function) we have to set the heating to always on.

Not entirely sure why it would be installed like that, I'd expect to see a Hive type thermostat in place of where the BG RS1 was. It's a very old Hive type unit, possibly came with the boiler installed circa 2012. I'd show a picture but I'm not home at the minute

Ok ???

The 'bottom bit' is a remote wireless programmer/thermostat and would usually be in the living room instead of the thermostat you are swapping.

The 'top bit' should be connected to the boiler.

It looks like that, but I think it's perhaps a wired version - I'll take a picture later and definitely take your point!
I've no idea why it would be installed in the boiler cupboard unless it really is wired and just used for local control

It came with the house, but from what I'm seeing it allows us to control the hot water schedule, or switch off. Then for the heating to work (and thermostat to function) we have to set the heating to always on.

Not entirely sure why it would be installed like that, I'd expect to see a Hive type thermostat in place of where the BG RS1 was. It's a very old Hive type unit, possibly came with the boiler installed circa 2012. I'd show a picture but I'm not home at the minute
It sounds as if the Hive receiver was put in place by the previous occupant, to control heating and hot water.
The original remote Hive thermostat, may have been lost, or broken.

Often, the Hive receiver was installed in the same location as a simple programmer used to be.
This could leave an old thermostat in place i.e. the RS1, but this would be set to maximum, allowing the Hive thermostat to exclusively control the temperature.
Alternatively, the old thermostat was usually bridged out, decommissioned and removed.

If you do feel like upgrading the old Hive to a new dual channel Hive, the new receiver should be a direct, swap in replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back