BT Dropwire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my upper floor demolished and rebuilt. This necessitated removal of incoming power and BT cable.

Getting the power reconnected is WIP - at the moment it is being supported by a piece of scaffolding but UKPN owe me a new cable as part of the fuse upgrade I am entitled to.

I would like to move the connection point for the incoming BT cable, but I am loathe to pay an excessive price for what is (IMO) a very simple job. The telegraph pole supplying my house is actually on my property, so access is not an issue. We are not due a fibre connection for ages, so anything I do is unlikely to be discovered any time soon.

Extending a cable under tension is probably not a good idea. In order to extend the incoming cable means effectively replacing it: I KNOW THAT I AM NOT SUPPOSED TO - but is it possible/practicable to?:
Sever the cable after it joins "my" telegraph pole metal hook

Join the cable whilst not under tension with one of these:

1724664706722.png

Retension wire to hook with one of these:

1724664789258.png

Run cable to new position on house

1724664944128.png

As I'm already off-piste I was thinking of dispensing with this and running it straight inside to the Master Socket - to reduce joins

Any critique or warnings more than welcome

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
Any critique or warnings more than welcome
Working on tensioned cables is not as simple as it may seem. An old weather beaten overhead cable may not be flexible enough to be safely attached to the pole with a spiral drop wire clamp. It may need this type of clamp
1724667006911.png

which is designed for situations where the cable is too stiff for a new spiral clamp.

Does "your" pole carry any services to other houses.

Dropwires have steel wires for load bearing, joining the copper connections is all very well but you can't join the load bearing steel wires that way, Openreach always replace dropwires, they don't have random joints in the air.

Working on tensioned cables is not as simple as it may seem. An old weather beaten overhead cable may not be flexible enough to be safely attached to the pole with a spiral drop wire clamp. It may need this type of clamp
View attachment 353537

which is designed for situations where the cable is too stiff for a new spiral clamp.

Does "your" pole carry any services to other houses.

The pole is a proper telegraph pole that carries electrical supply wires as well

Each side of the pole is a circular hook about 3 feet down from the power cables to which the incoming supplies from the pole directly across the road (with a BT grey socket) are connected

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I was proposing to buy a brand new cable as a replacement and joining that with an untensioned loop at the ring before connecting the wire to the house

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
The pole is a proper telegraph pole that carries electrical supply wires as well
In which case it is a Utilty Pole and almost certainly "owned" by the power company who will have granted a wayleave for BT to run cables from it.
loop at the ring
If this ring is on the post then leave well alone and get BT/Openreach to move their cable to the new landing location on your house
The top of a power pole is a hazardous place
fire post 30July2019.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back