Bubbling paint externally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the outside of my house painted a number of years ago. It is an 1850s property. All the other houses in the street are also painted. However, very soon after, the paint started bubbling. It has gotten worse over the years and now looks a right mess tbh (see pics).

I'm assuming, it was the wrong type of paint used perhaps? If I remember rightly though, it was some sort of weathershield. Perhaps it should be a 'breathable' paint?

It's odd because none of the other house in the street look as bad as mine. The pic with the railings shown is directly next door to mine.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240709_125130.jpg
    20240709_125130.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240709_125106.jpg
    20240709_125106.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240709_125113.jpg
    20240709_125113.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Damp pushing off paint by looks of it. Consider getting it looked at and taking advice.
Can be anything from wrong paint or rising damp.

Could be a bridged damp course or drain problem. Take advice if you can't find the reason.

Sponsored Links
Could be a bridged damp course or drain problem. Take advice if you can't find the reason.
I'm thinking a paint issue, or perhaps a lack-of-prep paint issue because, whilst there are large areas not affected, other bits, around the cornice above the door and, the plinth below the first floor windows, for example, are. (see pic attached)

Attachments

• 20240712_142125.jpg
    20240712_142125.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 26
You find the paint then look at the application data sheet to see what primer is recommended on what surface.
Paint manufacturers also have technical helpline.
All the professionals should read data sheets or phone for advice. Data sheets are bedtime reading.. Ha.
Re walls. Do you have lime render? What damp course do you have? Same as neighbours?

Best primer is coverstain but you don't want to be putting that over lime render as there are recommend primers specific to that surface

I've found the original quote for the works. It appears that a stabiliser / Unibond was used plus, 2x coats Dulux Weathershield.
This was September 2013. Admittedly it's been a few years now and so perhaps, it's current condition is to be as expected?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-13 17.49.14.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-13 17.49.14.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 17
September should have been warm enough.

Could the wall have been wet? Not usually a major issue with water-based paints, but still worth asking.

The fact that stabiliser WAS used may indicate the wall was in a bad, porous condition to start with - so maybe not too surprising.

For a moment. I thought you said 2013.

2013??? That's a long time ago now.

It's an old property anyhow, probably with a lot of history, so it's probably quite normal.

In fact, sometimes you only need a chip or crack, and water can find its way in, and starts the bubbling.

When did you notice it bubbling up first of all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back