Build regs for doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm hoping someone may know the answer to this. My current front door is just to the right as I come down my stairs and opens inwards away from them. Is there a regulation that says the door has to open away from the stairs for easy escape in case of fire (you can just open the door from the stairs and exit without having to go fully down the stairs and to the other side of the door). It was suggested to me this was the case, but due to space in my hallway I want the door to open the other way. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would adhere to the regs:

st.jpg

Thank you for the reply @freddiemercurystwin my front door is offset to the stairs (see pic) so do you think it will be ok to open the other way?

Attachments

• IMG_8418.jpeg
    IMG_8418.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 20
Looking at that photo, if the door is changed so it has its hinges on its left, then the door will block the corridor when opened.

Never mind regulations, it will drive you nuts as you have to manoeuvre around the door with your shopping/kids/friends.

Sponsored Links
@SFK it already drives me nuts. The door opens into the narrowest space and everyone has to either pile in and then shut the door to get to the open space or come in one at a time and shut the door each time. There would be no manoeuvring coming in if it opened the other way.

Reactions: SFK
Thank for that clarification. I'll take back my comments. And if that is the case I would simply change it as it makes exiting safer.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back