Building a partition wall for plaster finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a partition wall in a 1934 property between 2 bedrooms to create a built-in wardrobe for each bedroom.

There is a brick pillar at each end that has been finished with dot-and-dab plasterboard and skim or plaster direct to the brick. The pillar is 165mm face to face.

My partition wall is being constructed parallel to these pillars. I'm using metal c-studs to construct the partition. I'll then screw plasterboard to the studs and get a plasterer to skim finish.

I want to know the maximum I can be out with the existing face of the pillar (on each face of the partition wall) that can still be made up by the plasterer to give a level finish between the pillar and the partition wall?
The metal c-stud track is 72mm wide and I'll screw on 12.5mm sound bloc plasterboard to each side of the partition. So before plastering, the partition will be 97mm thick leaving 68 mm difference.

I thought I could double-board one side of the partition which would increase the thickness to 109.5mm. That still leaves 55.5mm difference, split between each side that's roughly 28mm to be made up in skim on each side.
Should I double-board each side? I'm looking for advice from plasterers on how to construct this partition that will make it easiest for the plasterer to get a good finish.

I should say that since one side of the partition will be the inside of the other bedroom's wardrobe so potentially I could sacrifice the finish on that side but I'm aiming to get the best finish on each side.

Please advise on how you'd proceed.

Many thanks

EDIT: - Perhaps I should ditch the metal c-stud and buy some 130mm thick timber?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plaster is about 2-3mm thick
Backing plaster like bonding around 5-10mm

28mm to make up you would need to pack out with plasterboard or wood before boarding over.
Better to make the studwork correct thickness

It's be easier just building 2 seperate 3x2 stud walls to finish where you want them.

Sponsored Links
If it's between 2 rooms maybe just extra layers of standard plasterboard with staggered joints instead of soundblock would be better. Aim to finish flush or 3mm below adjacent walls to save the need for a bonding coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back