Building Regulations for kitchen diner with staircase and removal of side door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to take out the load bearing wall between our kitchen and dining room, block up the external side door in the kitchen and add a new internal door into the garage (as per plans below). I understand we will need buildings regs approval for the works but was just wondering if there's anything beyond the expected that may be a stumbling block? Particularly with respect to fire regs as the stairs would now be in the kitchen diner (it's a 2 storey detached house) and whether blocking up the side door would impact this? The staircase is currently not enclosed but is open within the dining room and there are double patio doors into the garden at the rear of the dining room.

I understand we will need the standard structural calcs for the RSJ and a self closing FD30 door into the garage with a 100mm step but is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
Existing Layout.png
New Layout.png

Sponsored Links
Potentially you are making the situation worse by having the stairs discharge in to the kitchen. So assuming it is a 2 storey house I would say you'll need to ensure all the 1st floor windows are fire egress compliant (min. 450 x 450mm opening casements, sill height not above 1100mm etc.) and interlinked smoke/heat detectors on ground and first floor.
If it is a 3 storey house or any part of the first floor is more than 4.8m above ground level it becomes a far more complicated job.

Fire regulations don't apply to two storey properties.

The means of escape requirement is a final exit door in the room at the bottom of the stairs, it does not matter what the room is.

Sponsored Links
Don’t be surprised if the BCO insists on interlinked smoke and heat alarms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back