Built extension not followed 45 degree rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbours built an extension about 8 months ago that is around 10 cm from the boundary line on our semi-detached house. Our kitchen window is next to the boundary line and their extension sticks out and does not follow the 45° rule. I have only just discovered this rule so we did not oppose to the planning application, but as soon as it was built we realised the loss of light into our kitchen window. What can we do? We have recently had our house valued and an estate agent asked us about the extension and told us about the 45° rule and said that this could potentially reduce the value of our house. Our next door neighbours had a massive New year's Eve party 2 years ago until 3:00 in the morning which we complained about and they had a big arguement with us as we have children that were trying to sleep and ever since that arguement they have not spoken a word to us. My wife wants to move from our house and this is one of the main reasons we are looking to move even though we live in a lovely house with a lovely location and get on really well with the rest of our neighbours

Sponsored Links
Here is the extension. Excuse the old flooring from our conservatory. I need to get to the tip.

Attachments

• PXL_20241005_132218310.jpg
    PXL_20241005_132218310.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 6
My next door neighbours built an extension about 8 months ago that is around 10 cm from the boundary line on our semi-detached house. Our kitchen window is next to the boundary line and their extension sticks out and does not follow the 45° rule. I have only just discovered this rule so we did not oppose to the planning application, but as soon as it was built we realised the loss of light into our kitchen window. What can we do? We have recently had our house valued and an estate agent asked us about the extension and told us about the 45° rule and said that this could potentially reduce the value of our house. Our next door neighbours had a massive New year's Eve party 2 years ago until 3:00 in the morning which we complained about and they had a big arguement with us as we have children that were trying to sleep and ever since that arguement they have not spoken a word to us. My wife wants to move from our house and this is one of the main reasons we are looking to move even though we live in a lovely house with a lovely location and get on really well with the rest of our neighbours
If the extension was done under permitted development then the 45 deg rule doesn’t apply

If the extension was done with a planning application, then provided what has been built matches the dimensions and position as per the application that was given approval, then I’m not what you can do….

Looks fine to me, I want my neighbours halfway down the garden making their noise, not right outside my door.

When you come to sell just spin it the other way - "look how far you will be able to extend without breaching the 45° rule"

Get a brighter bulb for your kitchen.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back