burglar alarm - how to wire in a new detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mains operated burglar alarm and have wired in a new detector on a new door (not the main entrance /exit door). I cannot understand how to wire in the circuit at the burglar alarm box. There are two other similar doors on this alarm (neither used as exit/entrance doors).
These 2 doors are wired in such a way that they share part of the burglar alarm circuitry. So the blue wire from playroom door goes to Z3 on the board and the red wire from hall door goes to the other half of Z3. Similarly the black wire from hall door goes to A/T3 and the yellow wire from door one goes to the other half of A/T3. The blue from hall door and red from playroom door are joined as are the yellow from hall door and black from play room door.
The unit is called a MX48. I cannot find any information on this anywhere.
I have wired the new door with a magnetic door breaker. This has the usual 5screw arrangements and I have copied the wiring on one of the doors. Thus, the red wire goes to one screw, the blue wire goes to a different screw and the yellow and black are wired into the same screw.
Any suggestions. What are the principals of this type of wiring. Any ideas on where I could get more information on the MX48 unit?

Sponsored Links
what else is on the panel (apart from MX 48) any chance you can post a picture? (or describe it)

to post a picture click me

the wiring you have is called series.

easiest way to do what you want

take out black and blue wires (on cct 3, you said)

connect (colour to colour) to black and blue on new cable

put yellow and red into panel

yellow where black was (a/t 3)

red where blue was (cct 3)

Is your MX wotsit a magnetic door contact?

The silver terms are for the reed switch which makes/breaks depending on whether it is close to magnet or not. The other brass coloured ones are for other connections, tamper, etc...

As Breezer says, the wiring is in series. Basically it is a big loop that when broken sends a signal to the panel to go into alarm condition.

Look up series wiring re BA's on the net. A bit of enlightenment goes a long way!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back