Buying house - all things extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got no idea whats even possible?

Where do I start? Who do I ask what can be done even?

In terms of cost/time etc how much, for instance, for single storey extension?

Sponsored Links
If you post a rough plan drawing of what you propose on here, there will be some people that can advise whether it might be permitted development or require full planning.

Where do you start?
A= your starting point is getting an idea of whether planning is likely, then you need an idea of cost, so you can get an idea whether it’s somewhere close to your budget.

This forum is a good starting point where you can initial advice before spending money.

If you would like further advice on the process and who you need on board, please ask.

1727173408815.png

Above is the current... As you can see its a dormer bungalow (With the stairs up to the one bedroom as you can see).

Plenty of land all around the house.....

Initially, I think.

1. Another bathroom
2. Another bedroom

Sponsored Links
Used to 3 toilets in current house..... Two showers.
With 2 kids (one in college most of the time) its going to be tough with one bathroom!

If you post a rough plan drawing of what you propose on here, there will be some people that can advise whether it might be permitted development or require full planning.

Where do you start?
A= your starting point is getting an idea of whether planning is likely, then you need an idea of cost, so you can get an idea whether it’s somewhere close to your budget.

This forum is a good starting point where you can initial advice before spending money.

If you would like further advice on the process and who you need on board, please ask.

Thanks thats so kind of you.....

If you're going to be hands-on and have skills and free time then an extension could be a great idea.

If you're going to sit on a chair while paying someone else to do everything then these days you'd probably pay less just to buy a bigger house. This is because materials, labour are much more expensive than they used to be.

Plus most "builders" don't pick up a hammer these days, they stand about and make phone calls now and then. Pay someone £300 to dig a hole then charge you £3000 for it.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty but have technical skills then you can save a lot by designing and/or managing yourself, and employing tradespeople directly, cutting out the middleman.

Extensions routinely cost more than £100,000 these days, for something fairly unremarkable, if you want to be like the people on telly and do nothing but choose the curtains and carpets.

Be very afraid of previous loft conversions. Did it have building control approval, was the floor strengthened, how well is it insulated. Some are worse than nothing, as you need to spend time and money ripping it out before starting again.

Is there a door between the hallway and loft conversion? Nothing there according to the plans.

Bit of a weird route to the kitchen from the front door, given that the loft stairs now block what I assume was once a hallway straight through.

If you're going to be hands-on and have skills and free time then an extension could be a great idea.

If you're going to sit on a chair while paying someone else to do everything then these days you'd probably pay less just to buy a bigger house. This is because materials, labour are much more expensive than they used to be.

Plus most "builders" don't pick up a hammer these days, they stand about and make phone calls now and then. Pay someone £300 to dig a hole then charge you £3000 for it.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty but have technical skills then you can save a lot by designing and/or managing yourself, and employing tradespeople directly, cutting out the middleman.

Extensions routinely cost more than £100,000 these days, for something fairly unremarkable, if you want to be like the people on telly and do nothing but choose the curtains and carpets.

Alas my building skills are ZERO.....

And I prob ain't got time to project manage anything....

Is there a door between the hallway and loft conversion? Nothing there according to the plans.

Bit of a weird route to the kitchen from the front door, given that the loft stairs now block what I assume was once a hallway straight through.

Plans? Where do you get these from? All I have is the picture supplied.

Yes those stairs are actually 90 degrees to what is shown. And very steep.

Couple of questions:-

1. Additional toilet. Obviously the main one feeds into an existing soil pipe. Is it easy (or even possible) to put a toilet in say bedroom3? I see there is a drain access outside the window down the side of the house.

2. Building another bedroom upstairs. I guess would need some major work done on the roof as well and consider things like access to it etc? Expensive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back