Buzzing Dimmer - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a dimmer, and it seems to be working fine...

Although there is a buzzing sound coming from the dimmer itself and its quite loud, any ideas anyone?

thx

Sponsored Links
It's only normal if it does not sound like a thousand ANGRY wasps.......

a slight buzz is ok, and it usually gets a little louder the lower you dim.

Sponsored Links
dimmers buzz because the pahse sutyting creates harmonics which can easilly cause stuff to resonate inside them

2KW per channel stage dimmer banks buzz like hell

Dimmers buzz and cause lights to flicker if the load is too small. You could try increasing the wattage of the lamps (although not enough to exceed the rating of the dimmer).

plug - take the boxing gloves off when you're typing

Or you could try a touch dimmer... I have three (One's remote control tooo) and no buzzing at all...

Got mine at B&Q

Hope that helps...

FD

I have a dimmer switch that causes a very slight buzzing sound in the phone when the dimmer is right down. Phone cables go nowhere near my lightswitch, the dimmer must be inducing it somewhere else on the circuit.

When I say buzzing in the phone, I do mean only if you happen to be using it. It doesn't spontaneously start shaking when I dim the lights! :LOL:

AdamW said:
I have a dimmer switch that causes a very slight buzzing sound in the phone when the dimmer is right down. Phone cables go nowhere near my lightswitch, the dimmer must be inducing it somewhere else on the circuit.

not cordless phone is it?

Domestic dimmers don't contain the noise suppression circuitry that "professional" dimmers do and therefore are inherantly noisier(electrical) than their counterparts

Many domestic dimmers buzz to some extent. Dependant on the make/type this can sometimes be minimised by tightening the unused terminal screws. These can vibrate in the terminals, it does not always work but worth a try.

im a mechanic and on cars to prevent the interference from the alternatores we use supressers which are capcitors, cheap things really. dont know if these can be used in this dimmer,

mikeyredtop said:
. dont know if these can be used in this dimmer,
its nice for your input, unfortunately you can not just put "any old capacitor" across the mains

i wasnt talking "any old capacitor" obviosly one suitable for its application...

mikeyredtop said:
obviosly one suitable for its application...

you forget, this is a diy forum, you have to say what exactly what you mean, to prevent / problems accidents.

The opposite is also true. people will say "my boiler doesnt work please help" how are we supposed to know what boiler etc, you see what i am saying, without all the information a wrong decision is easily made

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back