Cables near surface...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After stripping off the wallpaper in my house I found that the wires going from the fusebox to the first floor are almost near the surface - with some of them visible through the plaster. (Please don't laugh...) I had to replace one wire that must have been cut and patched at some point.

My first goal is to make a deeper channel for them, but from reading the regulations it looks like I need some kind of metal (and earthed) cover as well. They go from the fusebox under the stairs through a hole in the wall and vertically from there.

Does anyone have product names or sources for this kind of cover? The local B&Q just has cables, and the local Focus just has PVC material.

Sponsored Links
its called capping , but you want the metal variety, you can get it from any electrical wholesalers

Idealy it should be in conduit, another alternataive is to put them in plastic trunking on the surface

Jens said:
The local B&Q just has cables, and the local Focus just has PVC material.
1093635286_nosheds.JPG

I have some bad news for you :( our local q & b was to be flattened, starting end of this month (b-a-s :) ) it has had a reprieve, and now it wont happen untill end of januarty 2005 (b-a-s :cry: )

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Sorry, I didn't see anything in the forum rules about not mentioning stores. Or is that a personal thing?
(Both of them are crap compared to the one we had in the town in Germany where I lived... Why is stuff that cost pennies there really expensive here?)

many of us hate them because they sell sh1t at relatively high prices

if you wan't a decent choice in electrical stuff they are not the way to go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back