Calling cylcists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I know from previous threads that we've got some cyclists on here. Just wondered if anyone knows anything about adjusting the 'pre-load' on mountain bike suspension? The instructions that came with it are useless and just say "your local bicycle dealer can assist you in setting the pre-load" As a keen DIYer, i'd rather the instructions told me how to do it myself. I have searched t'internet but can only find details for adjusting pre-load on motorbike suspension, which appears to be a whole different ball game...

Anyone any ideas....?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, i'm sure that'll do it - I think its the 1/4 total length of travel that is the crucial bit of info I needed which both sites indicated to be the setting to aim for.

Slightly different enquiry, but thinking of taking my mountain bike out today - anyone got any tips on cycling in snow and ice - should I simply not bother? And I wont be on and busy roads as I don't particularly enjoy riding in traffic - so I wont be causing a hazzard to cars!!

Is it dangerous beyond belief or with narrow, nobbly tyres, will i have more grip than in my car??

Knobbly tyres will pick up snow and without a good clearance to the frame will block up. They also ride more on top of the snow. Narrow tyres with a small amount of tread cut through the snow and can give quite good grip. However, everything is okay in a straight line and on the flat, on hills you'll need to control your speed down hill and going around corners. Leaning over to change course is out.
Always thinking you're about to fall off is prevalent but with experience it will diminish, until you fall off. So, practice as much as you can falling off so it's not so surprising. You will need a lot of luck so good luck.

Cycled home yesterday in melting snow - road were completely clear, but very wet but the trails and off road still had some areas of slushy snow. Hadn't bargained for just how difficult it would be to ride through the snow/slush and having now found out, I don't think i'll be in too much of a hurry to get on my bike again while there is snow on the ground!!

Yamaha XT500 ( yes I know a old one for those in the know, but a PE370 isnt road legal :D) is great in the snow.

Forget pedals get an engine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back