Can I turn on electric shower if water supply is isolated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to find the mains water isolation valve for an electric shower and I've found one that might be it but I need to test it, by presumably turning the shower on while the water is off. Is this safe to do and won't damage the shower?

Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
The shower should have a water-pressure sensor to switch off the electric power when water pressure is too low.

Turn the showers heating elements off ,so only have on cold settings.

Thanks for the comments, I did wonder if it would turn itself off due to lack of pressure. The only thing I can do regarding turning off heating elements is put it on the low setting and turn the temp dial down to cold as far as it will go?

Sponsored Links
Don't know what shower you have but if there is a dial for heating elements and a lower one for temperature / flow,turn the top one to cold and elements are disengaged.

Yeah there is high, eco or low buttons then the temp dial, so everything to low then basically, right thanks!

Thanks for the comments, I did wonder if it would turn itself off due to lack of pressure. The only thing I can do regarding turning off heating elements is put it on the low setting and turn the temp dial down to cold as far as it will go?
That will not work.
Power will still go through the element unless the switch interrupts the power to the element.

Electric shower heats a few ‘thimble fulls’ of water and cold water is added to temper the outflow at the spray head

Of course depends on the model and make.

The OP wants to ensure that the water is isolated to his shower by pressing the start button so he is switching off the power via the selector switch on the shower panel, this setting might be labeled "Low" but in fact just means that you get a cold shower. Even if the power selector switch is left on, either to the Eco setting, one elemrnt selected or to High, both elements selected then if the start button is pressed with the water isolated, there will be no power to either element as the micro switches are engaged mechanically by a diaphragm operated cam or levers.

It makes sense to me that the shower would have some means to protect itself from damage if there is no water. How else do you test things like this rare as it may come up..

It makes sense to me that the shower would have some means to protect itself from damage if there is no water. How else do you test things like this rare as it may come up..

Mains fed shower assumed.
Yes, you can do a test by having the power switch to High (normal setting) and the temperature contol to coldest, switch on the shower, the shower temperature should be ~ 35C (at 8LPM flow and 18C mains), then keep opening other cold water taps slowly until the water runs cold, this will happen at ~ 3.5 to 5.0LPM ish, there are also two thermal cut outs, (TCOs) one, self resets at 48C, the other, to protect the shower, operates at 75C and is non resettable, the TCO has to be replaced, the 48C TCO will (on most showers now), switch out both elements) and at the present 18C mains temp will operate at a flowrate of 4.3LPM (9.0kw shower) so may switch out the elements before the pressure switch does, if neither this or the pressure swich doesn't do the switching off then the second TCO will switch off the elements at 75C.

Edit: Might be better to have the power setting to Eco, one element on, with the temperature control to coldest for the above test, the shower temperature will then only be 26C but the flowrate would have to fall to 2.15LPM before the TCO will operate at 48C so the pressure switch should operate well above that flowrate and switch out the element.

When I installed a 9KW Triton T80Z, 2 years ago, on doing the above test, the elements switched out at 4.1LPM and back in at 5.0LPM.

Last edited:
Seriously!? Maybe it just sounds more complicated than it is.

Seriously!? Maybe it just sounds more complicated than it is.

Except your shower has a phased shut down, where the water runs on for 5/10 secs or so after switching off the shower to allow the water in the heating can to cool down and not scald someone else who jumps in the shower immediately after you then you will hear a distinct click ~ 10 secs after switching off the shower, this is the 48C TCO operating so this is "tested" every time anyone has a shower so you can forget it from a test point of view.
Some showers like the Mira Sport have a Low Pressure Indicator LED which will light up very briefly after pressing the start button, again another practical "self test" every time you have a shower.
Enjoy your showering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back