Can Lnb on old sky dish be connected to amplifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have old working sky dish. It has 2 coax cable connected. One of them feeds to my TV. I was wondering if I connect the dish to my labgear amplifier in my attic, will it be able to feed all tvs connected in the different room. Primarily, the aim is to receive freesat channels to 4 tvs. Currently I have the ariel that feeds the amplifier and it receives the free to air channels via amplifier.

Sponsored Links
It is possible to distribute a single LNB signal, but you're going to end up with the TVs fighting for control of the LNB.

Thanks Lucid. Do we get lnb's with multiple outputs? I was doing a Google search and it came up with results of Octo lnb's which would feed up to 8 tv's. Is my understanding right? If I get that going, my areal and amplifier will be redundant I guess and I will get a free view via skysat.

Sponsored Links
What Lucid didn't say is each LNB in the octopus head needs a separate cable. If you expect one cable to supply multiple TV's then as Lucid reports all the TV's will be 'fighting' for control of the LNB.
I don't think single LNB's are available any longer.

Thanks Lucid. Do we get lnb's with multiple outputs? I was doing a Google search and it came up with results of Octo lnb's which would feed up to 8 tv's. Is my understanding right? If I get that going, my areal and amplifier will be redundant I guess and I will get a free view via skysat.
The thing on the end of the arm of a satellite dish isn't really the LNB. It's simply the housing. What's inside the housing is the important thing. It can have one, two, four or eight LNBs inside it. That's possibly the simplest and lowest cost way to feed multiple satellite receivers, so yes, get an octo.

Before you splash the cash though, do look into what happens with the signal level from the dish.

The dish is focussing the signal from the satellite onto the point where the LNB sits. A single output LNB gets all of that signal. A dual means that the signal is halved. A quad = 1/4. An octo = 1/8th for each output. The size of the dish determines how much signal is collected from the satellite, and so how strong the signal is to start with.

Since most people with a dish got one because they had Sky at some point, and the Sky installer put up an appropriately sized dish for the location across the UK and the number of outputs required, then the average homeowner hasn't had to think about dish size vs output strength. It's not too complicated though. Sky has two zones, and so two dish sizes. This graphic (LINK) shows the info. Anyone in Zone 1 would get away with a smaller dish and a quad LNB. Further north needs a larger dish. Someone living in Z1 going up to an octo might want to look at either a Z2 dish or check out the LNB specs for one with lower noise rather than simply getting the cheapest octo.

Just to add, use good cable. It makes a difference to how much signal makes it through from the LNB to the TV/receiver. A good quality all-copper coax. Webro WF100, Labgear PF100, and Triax TX100 are all solid choices.

Last edited:
Do remember to use all-copper construction low loss WF100 cable if any lengths exceed, say 15 metres... The thin WF65 shotgun $ky often install is lossy. Decent quality screw on F-plugs too, together with self-amalgamating tape or waterproofing boots.

The low noise block if quad can feed into a device to send signals to as may outlets as desired (using amplification and signal switching... such as the simplest version which could re-use the cables to the rooms that exist? You'd need 4 cables from dish to loft for that, of course.

I'd suggest NOT getting rid of a working Freeview aerial and its distribution unless it's falling to pieces/in the way of something else. We don't know when satellite or terrestrial will cease broadcasting and in which order they'll close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back