Can not find tap gland/cartridge in the right size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i bought several tap glands but they are all the wrong sizes, a plumber told me to check with a plumbing supply place, as they would be able to source one, but no good, I need to find one that has this diameter, the 1/2" BSP which we bought, was a lot, smaller than this, and therefore you could not even attempt to screw it in. Any links or help are welcome.

1724309226599.jpeg

Sponsored Links
1. 5/8" BSP threads have an outside diameter of just under 23 mm, so allowing for some tolerance I suspect the thread is 5/8" BSP.
2. Its an unusual size for a tap, which are nearly always 1/2" or 3/4" BSP. There are, or rather were, some 5/8 outside taps made.
3. A photograph / description of the tap might help.
4. Out of interest, why do you want a tap "gland" when possibly all you need is a new washer for a few pennies?

Sponsored Links
1. 5/8" BSP threads have an outside diameter of just under 23 mm, so allowing for some tolerance I suspect the thread is 5/8" BSP.
2. Its an unusual size for a tap, which are nearly always 1/2" or 3/4" BSP. There are, or rather were, some 5/8 outside taps made.
3. A photograph / description of the tap might help.
4. Out of interest, why do you want a tap "gland" when possibly all you need is a new washer for a few pennies?
Here is a picture of the tap, our nearest town is 60 miles away which sells tools and equipment, we are not sure if the washer would come off easy or go on easy so we would prefer not to end up without a tap, as it is not easy to get spares, so if we got a gland it would be a safe bet.

1724333561023.jpeg

Just buy a 3/4" BSP tap-washer and trim its rim if necessary. The nut shown on the end of the 'gland' simply unscrews to get the old washer off. Looks like a flat type (with its centre area squashed from prolonged use).

Last edited:
Can you strip the cartridge down clean it up and re silicon grease it. You could try turning the washer around or as said buy a 3/4" one and cut to size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back