Can this concrete floor be rescued...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photos show my 'seen better days' garage/outhouse floor. Its got more potholes than my local high street and a few cracks and gaps. Question is, if I want to get a smooth surface (mainly to work on my motorbike) what is the best solution? Lay fresh concrete or other surface material on top? Dig it all out and start again - don't fancy this option! I only need the front part of the building to be repaired (approx 2.5m x 3.5m), the rest of the building is storage and shelving units so most of the floor space is covered. No too fussed if I ended up with a lip on the repaired area. On the plus side, its dry and I dont get any damp coming up through the floor which was laid around 1986. Thoughts? Costs? Cheers all.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's overall fairly level then a few sheets of plywood would get you an easy flat surface. Any screed or similar may well crack again as the concrete cracks/subsides further over time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What could be used to pack out the gaps underneath the ply where the floor is uneven?
Ply is great if it's fixed down. The second it gets moisture in it it will start to curl. You will regret it.

Dig it out and replace it with something more substantial, than the 2" rubbish that's there.

Last edited:
...and I would probably have laid some SLC and then some interlocking garage tiles on top:
but I'm only a DIY'er :)

...and I would probably have laid some SLC and then some interlocking garage tiles on top:
DIYers often come up some really good solutions, so don't knock yourself. Probably because they are thinking outside the box.

Good idea but I suspect a side stand or jack wheels would poke straight through the rubber.

...or float the ply on the rubber tiles?
What may work is interlocking OSB sheets (tongue and groove) on the floor and the rubber mats on top. The problem with regular ply is the curling and the differential between each sheet. Hell be tripping up etc.

Thanks all. I remembered I had a pile of foam interlocking tiles tucked away so I put down a waterproof sheet then the foam tiles and bought a cheap piece of roll end lino from a local carpet shop. Not perfect and had to build up the lows with extra foam pieces but looks tidy and for £60, if I get a year or two out of it I'll be happy. Got a steel plate I can use for the motorbike side / centre stand.
IMG_20240608_093754464.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back