Cannot seem to tighten valve onto radiator feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the old valve and olive (using a junior hacksaw) because the olive was too low on the pipe and did not meet the new valve. When I try to fix the new valve using a new olive and nut it screws all the way up (finger tight).. but can be pulled off the end of the pipe by hand, fairly easily.

What do I do?

20241016_160206.jpg
20241016_160232.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok.. seems like I just needed to get the grips and wrench on it and actually tighten it. It was a PITA because the feed pipe wanted to fall into the floor.

The copper is badly marked and you should ensure it is in good condition before trying to fit the new olive and valve . It's not uncommon for a compression fitting to slide off the pipe when it is only tightened by hand .

1. Can't tell for sure from your photos but looks to me as if a fitting has been inserted into the end of the pipe, presumably soldered.
2. I've quite often found these fittings, which are designed for end feed soldering, often offer a slack fit for a compression fitting.
3. You might try swapping that brass olive for a copper one. The copper is softer and may offer more compression onto the pipe (fitting?).
4. The previous olive was clearly don up far too tight and has constricted the pipe.
5. If you want a "proper" solution:
5.1 Clean all the paint off the pipe above that dent near the towel.
5.2 Cut the pipe at the current paint line.
5.3 Use a coupler (end feed or solder ring) and a small piece of 15 mm pipe (assuming it is all 15 mm) to extend the pipe upwards. Requires soldering and a drained system.
5.4 Attach the valve. I'd personally still swap the brass olive for a copper one. With a new valve, new compression nut (comes with valve) and new olive, shouldn't need any sealing paste, but won't hurt.

Sponsored Links
I've noticed that nearly all compression fittings sold come with brass rather than copper olives. I've had to resort to buying copper olives separately from online sources as they generally are much easier to make a good seal with.
I wonder why this is? I can't imagine brass olives are any cheaper than copper ones.

1. Can't tell for sure from your photos but looks to me as if a fitting has been inserted into the end of the pipe, presumably soldered.
2. I've quite often found these fittings, which are designed for end feed soldering, often offer a slack fit for a compression fitting.
3. You might try swapping that brass olive for a copper one. The copper is softer and may offer more compression onto the pipe (fitting?).
4. The previous olive was clearly don up far too tight and has constricted the pipe.
5. If you want a "proper" solution:
5.1 Clean all the paint off the pipe above that dent near the towel.
5.2 Cut the pipe at the current paint line.
5.3 Use a coupler (end feed or solder ring) and a small piece of 15 mm pipe (assuming it is all 15 mm) to extend the pipe upwards. Requires soldering and a drained system.
5.4 Attach the valve. I'd personally still swap the brass olive for a copper one. With a new valve, new compression nut (comes with valve) and new olive, shouldn't need any sealing paste, but won't hurt.
Yeah, I believe the pipe is 12mm and the fitting takes it to 15mm.

I wish I knew how to solder as the dent was definitely concerning me. This is only the first bit of DIY radiator work I've done, and my first fresh olive joint (the other end of the rad I could re-use the nut and olive - I know, not ideal either).

I looks like if you cut the pipe back to below the dent then there would be room to use a compression coupler (you can get 12mm to 15mm ones - just google it) to attach a new piece of 15 mm pipe up to the radiator valve. So no soldering skills needed, at the expense of loss of some neatness.

Judging by the condition of the supply pipe ,and the obvious damaged part ,I would not be inclined to try to use a compression fitting ,or a push fit either.
There is nothing complicated about soldering ,buy a cheap blowtorch ,flux and some Yorkshire fittings and copper pipe and try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back